Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need help picking a location..

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

We are very much last minute vacation planners. We say we are going to plan, we blink and it's 3 weeks until our week long vacation. We do it every year. We always find somewhere to go and even if a particular campground is booked we find something in the area. So here we are again. We live in SE PA and have a week of time planned in 3 weeks and this year for whatever reason we cant decide on location. There are plenty of location specific threads and they are helpful, but for this one I am just looking for your opinions on what you would do.

First, there are 5 of us. My wife and I and our 3 kids. 11yr twin girls and a 2 1/2 Boy. We would like to stay within 10-12 hours from home. Over the past few years we have been to Acadia ME, Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, Lake George, Lake Placid, Fort Wilderness, and all over PA and MD area. for our weekend trips we prefer state park type places and spend many weekends in the PA mountains, but with hookups. However we don't mind, and sometimes look for the RV parks for longer trips so the kids have the pool etc etc. but I hate the super tight campgrounds. I need at least a little space. We have been kicking around the smoky mtn park area in TN so we can hike, bike, fish, but also go into town and possibly Dollywood. Thoughts on this? If you like this idea, suggestions on campgrounds and things to do with the kids?
Another option I have been looking at (totally opposite I know) is OBX. Never been there and found a few sites available. Problem here is it is just beach and I wonder if the kids will get bored?? Also, we have other short beach vacations planned in NJ. Not against but pro's and cons?

Where else should I be looking. We love beautiful scenery but again want hookups and things for the kids to enjoy. I appreciate everyones help!
22 REPLIES 22

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly depends on what your family likes. Ashville, NC is outstanding beauty and the Biltmore is interesting, expensive to visit but interesting.

As someone stated Amusement Park? Cedar Point is there. On the bottom of Ohio is Kings Island. With Woody's Cathedral in the middle. Cities? Chicago is fun.

Then you have Mackinaw Island, Mi. Mostly t-shirts and fudge but no motor vehicle transportation is unique. Put in Bay Ohio is a closer crowed island with same concessions as Mackinaw but vehicles all over.

Cleveland has the Rock and Roll HOF, and Pro Football HOF is an hour south of Cleve.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Dollywood is very nice. You may want to spend a couple days there.

The Caden's Cove drive I found most interesting in the park, and it's close to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlingburg entrance. RVs are not prohibited on it, but driving it with a motorhome was not one of the most wise decisions I've ever made and I would not suggest replicating that feat. With a pickup or van or other typical travel trailer or fifth wheel tow vehicle it should not be problematic.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
So we ended up going with Gatlinburg TN area. Staying and overpaying at the Gatlinburg East KOA. Looks really nice and in a good location, far enough away from town to be quiet but close enough to visit. Not usually KOA fans but this one looks like something we will enjoy. Also really close to the GSM national park. Heading down on July 13th for 7 nights and looking forward to it. We plan to visit Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, probably do a day in Dollywood, and then the rest will be outdoor type activities like zip lines, hikes in the park, and anything else we can find in the park. We typically love national parks so I'm sure we will stay busy. Any other recommendations feel free to drop them in here, otherwise I'll keep digging through the multiple Pigeon Forge threads. Thanks all for you comments!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Someone mentioned Pipestem State Park in West Virginia. That is a great park and campground. They have indoor and outdoor pools. Fishing, tennis,golf,mini golf, nature walks,2 restaurants, horse back riding,archery and more. In Pa, we liked Bald Eagle Lake State Park. They have electric and full hookup sites. Plenty of room between sites. They have a nice beach and boat rental. If you drive into Lock Haven, the Piper Aircraft Museum is nice.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the OBX, over 10 yrs ago we stayed at Camp Hatteras RV Resort lots of stuff to keep your kids occupied at the campground, back then there was jet skiing rentals across the road, charter boats for fishing and of course the wright brothers museum. At that time we had our kids and they enjoyed the trip!

unique geography at the OBX... loved seeing the dunes towering the sides of state rd 12, seeing the plow trucks keeping the sand from over taking the road like it was a snow storm. :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
Hello All,

We are very much last minute vacation planners. We say we are going to plan, we blink and it's 3 weeks until our week long vacation. We do it every year. We always find somewhere to go and even if a particular campground is booked we find something in the area. So here we are again. We live in SE PA and have a week of time planned in 3 weeks and this year for whatever reason we cant decide on location. There are plenty of location specific threads and they are helpful, but for this one I am just looking for your opinions on what you would do.

First, there are 5 of us. My wife and I and our 3 kids. 11yr twin girls and a 2 1/2 Boy. We would like to stay within 10-12 hours from home. Over the past few years we have been to Acadia ME, Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, Lake George, Lake Placid, Fort Wilderness, and all over PA and MD area. for our weekend trips we prefer state park type places and spend many weekends in the PA mountains, but with hookups. However we don't mind, and sometimes look for the RV parks for longer trips so the kids have the pool etc etc. but I hate the super tight campgrounds. I need at least a little space. We have been kicking around the smoky mtn park area in TN so we can hike, bike, fish, but also go into town and possibly Dollywood. Thoughts on this? If you like this idea, suggestions on campgrounds and things to do with the kids?
Another option I have been looking at (totally opposite I know) is OBX. Never been there and found a few sites available. Problem here is it is just beach and I wonder if the kids will get bored?? Also, we have other short beach vacations planned in NJ. Not against but pro's and cons?

Where else should I be looking. We love beautiful scenery but again want hookups and things for the kids to enjoy. I appreciate everyones help!

A little further down the coast...James Island County Park just outside Charleston, SC. Full hook up sites, Big dog park with a lake, miles of biking/walking trails, water park for the kids, near Folly Beach and Charleston. Beautiful park and endless activities. Check out their web site.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I could be a little bit biased but the only concerning thing about the Outer Banks is the shark attacks. I know, it's sort of like hitting the lottery on the chances of being attacked but I could not risk my little girls (if I had some) to that kind of danger no matter the odds. Don't get me wrong, I love the outer banks and will go back someday, but we love living outside the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. We get to play tourist anytime we want to and come home to peace and quiet.

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest Smokey's over Outer Banks. Outer Banks are awesome but with a 2 1/2yo the ocean can be overpowering pretty quickly in that area. We love staying near Townsend TN. Very close to Cade's Cove. Our favorite campground is the KOA(i'm not a KOA fan) in Townsend. Sites right on the river, which is more like a creek unless it rains heavy.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Smoky Mountains are a good idea but since it's around the 4th of July probably not many openings. The girls would enjoy Dollywood.

If you can't get something there, the family would definitely find the Luray Caverns in Luray, VA interesting. Great tour, awesome caverns, cooler in the summer heat, closer to home so less time on the road. Take a light jacket or sweater to wear in the Caverns - 54 degrees inside.

If you want a pool, the KOA Luray RV Resort.

Outlanders River Camp has large campsites and a playground.

Allstays lists other campgrounds in Luray here.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Letchworth State Park near Syracuse
Watkin's Glen

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably a couple hours beyond your distance limit but.....

Magnolia Branch Wildlife Reserve
Larry

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Love the Outer Banks, too! Been there multiple times. If I had to pick between the two it would be difficult! Beaches are beautiful and there are activities there (at least there were) like small amusement parks and go-karting. It depends on whether you want to chill out or be on the go.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone for the replies! Lots of TN fans and no votes for Outer banks yet ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think the Pigeon Forge area looks like a good choice. I will dig in more. Thanks and feel free to share more ideas or opinions.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Smokies/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is a very good option. Dollywood is a top-notch amusement park in my estimation, and quite nice for families who aren't solely adrenaline junkies.

Also consider traveling some portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The southern section, starting at GSMNP, is in my mind the more spectacular section. Do be aware of the tunnel height limits.

Another option, in a different direction, is some of the finger lakes and other parts of western New York. Watkins Glen, Letchworth, maybe Niagara Falls, etc. are well worth seeing. You could stop at Knoebels on the way (but I assume you already know that).