cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Genie lost signal

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Had a new roof put on and had to reset my dish. I have a 95% signal on 101. Now in the evenings if there is a slight rain shower or just clouds I get a lost signal message while watching. Mostly on the mid channels. Whatโ€™s up?

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
15 REPLIES 15

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You should have 95+ on nearly all the 101 transponder. There is also 99(ca), 99(cb), 99(s), 103(ca), 103(cb) and 103(s).
You need 80-85 or better on the ca and cb transponders and you can ignore the lack of signals on the (s-spotbeam) transponders. The antenna is extremely sensitive and most be pointed in 3 directions. Azimuth, elevation and skew. The skew can have the most effect on the accuracy as it compensates for the different elevations of the 3 satellites. Call DTV and have them send out a tech to get the antenna properly pointed.

Right now I have the following on my Tripod mounted Slimline dish that I use continuously since I am full time:

101 - 98%
99ca - 94%
99cb - 95%
103ca - 96%
103cb - 95%

I have been setting this dish up on the same tripod since 2010. It is "easy" after all these years. And I have never had a meter of any type. I use the built in signal strength screen in the DTV receiver and a wireless baby monitor. Aim the camera to the TV screen and take the wireless unit out to the dish location. Easy and the monitor cost me nothing since my daughter gave it to me.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a privateer come and set my DirecTv dish. $85, house insurance will pay for it. He said DirecTv people arenโ€™t allowed to get on the roof anymore. Iโ€™m just glade I didnโ€™t have to call India and be on the phone an hour or so and wait. He said Dish is lot easier to set.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Fell off the lower porch roof. Jammed my arm into my shoulder, still hurts. This was all two days before back surgery. Have two replaced knees and one hip thatโ€™s been replaced 3 times. Wife say I have no business up there. I could have her go up and Iโ€™ll holler the signals to her. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ouch! Hope you fared better than my wife's fall. She shattered one foot and damaged her hip. Ladders and roofs (home and RV) are very dangerous and extreme caution should be exercised.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea Bill. I did fall off the ladder on my last excursion. :S

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should have 95+ on nearly all the 101 transponder. There is also 99(ca), 99(cb), 99(s), 103(ca), 103(cb) and 103(s).
You need 80-85 or better on the ca and cb transponders and you can ignore the lack of signals on the (s-spotbeam) transponders. The antenna is extremely sensitive and most be pointed in 3 directions. Azimuth, elevation and skew. The skew can have the most effect on the accuracy as it compensates for the different elevations of the 3 satellites. Call DTV and have them send out a tech to get the antenna properly pointed.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
My Genie, HR44, shows signals on all sats of 95%+. I even see 100% on 101 occasionally. This is using a Slimline on a tripod.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
70 is acceptable.
FlatBroke wrote:
There are 7. 3 versions of 99 and 103. None of my 99 or 103โ€™s are very high. No more than 70.
Oh yes, now that you mention it there are 3 versions...ca, cb.. that stuff. I never know when and where I'm supposed to get all those, but I rarely do get ALL of them. I'm good as long as I get one of the 99 and 103.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
There are 7. 3 versions of 99 and 103. None of my 99 or 103โ€™s are very high. No more than 70.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I know nothing about 10 sats, but I do know about 3. the 101, 99 and 103. Does Genie show 10 sats in the setup page?

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
What satellites should I look for? I did 101 and I saw some that went as strong a signal as it, but there are about 10.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:
l. I went up and just leveled it and it was 95.
Like I said, verify the other sats are showing a decent signal. I'm not saying that's exactly it, but it's something to eliminate.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, itโ€™s a slim line 3 mounted on my house. Before Genie I never lost signal except a lot of snow. Since I first got the Genie I would loose signal in extreme storms, but never like itโ€™s doing now. After the roofer put it back up I got no signal. I went up and just leveled it and it was 95.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
FlatBroke wrote:
Had a new roof put on and had to reset my dish. I have a 95% signal on 101. Now in the evenings if there is a slight rain shower or just clouds I get a lost signal message while watching. Mostly on the mid channels. Whatโ€™s up?

What kind of antenna is installed on the roof (dome? Open face? brand?). If using a dome and a Genie you would also have a SWM8 switch in the setup. Was that reconnected properly?