cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a car hauler

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Considering buying an enclosed car hauler trailer. My coach is rated to tow 10k My question for those of you towing a large trailer with a motorhome is, do you have to use a hitch with the weight distribution bars?
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad
10 REPLIES 10

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my class A DP the hitch is only rated for 5,000lbs weight carrying, 10,000lbs with a weight distributing hitch. The Freightliner chassis is plenty sturdy, it is just the hitch itself that is limited. Always remember to find the weak link in the chain and make sure that it is not overtaxed. My other weak link is the transmission. It is only good for about 7,000lbs over wet coach weight. Just because the hitch has a 10,000lb rating doesn't mean that the rest of the vehicle does even if the manufacturer advertises that it does, which mine was.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have towed a 32ft 3 axel enclosed trailer for 20 years without a WDH with 2 different DPs and never a problem. Probably close to 300,000mi over the years.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
Considering buying an enclosed car hauler trailer. My coach is rated to tow 10k My question for those of you towing a large trailer with a motorhome is, do you have to use a hitch with the weight distribution bars?

As long as everything is within specs. you should be good to go as it is.
Now with ours, we can tow 15K lbs and be well withing GCWR. Hitch is rated for 1500lbs tongue weight. Coach weight loaded is over a ton to the good for GVWR. Just one small problem, the extra ton is all on the front and the rear axle is slightly over weight. Not much or enough to cause any problems, but certainly wouldn't want to add any more weight back there. We tow four down, so NA and if we were to pull a trailer, there's a thing like a hitch caddy available, if a weight distribution hitch wouldn't work.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I asked this question a few months ago and the majority agreed that a WDH wouldn't be of any benefit on a DP with auto leveling. A few said it could actually be harmful, although I don't remember what reason they gave. I tow the trailer in my signature without a WDH.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
With a car hauler you distribute the weight by parking the car in the right place. You don't need a weight distributing hitch, as long as your hitch can hold the weight.

PCarnathan
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a stacking trailer weighing around 9500 pounds with a Four Winds Mandalay 43A. The coach has a 10,000-pound towing capacity, but I still use an Andersen weight distribution system. Why? It can't hurt. The trailer's rock-solid at any speed in all types of weather.

Pat in Menifee, CA
2009 Mandalay 43A
2009 Honda CR-V Toad
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes I use that hitch BUT without the bars.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
What's the weight carrying rating of your hitch?

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, towing a 26' enclosed trailer with a 45' Super C
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
No , towing a 20ft box enclosed hauler with a 41โ€™ tag axle coach. Auto air leveling
Bill