cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

andersen ultimate for trucks with flat bed

pressure_welder
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, thought I would give a bit of an update. Ended up selling our 2015 RAM limited dually and are now pulling our camper/boat combo with our welding rig which is a 2007 ram 3500 dually with 5.9 cummins and 6SPD G56 transmission, air bags, banks exhaust brake. Biggest issue I had going to the welding rig was making the decision as to use the Andersen ultimate or the reese goosebox. Unfortunately the reese goosebox wouldn't have given adequate clearance from my toolboxes when turning. So decided to go with andersens ultimate hitch made for trucks with flat beds. previous to this I have used a B&W companion since 2015.

First of all one of my major reasons going to the Andersen unit was weight.... after almost 4 years with the companion I DESPISED taking it in an our of my truck, used the skid steer however was still always a royal pain to take in and out. Having said that, I feel the B&W is likely the best made fifth wheel hitch money can buy.

comparing ease of hookup I would say the Andersen may edge out the B&W slightly. I only say this because the funnel makes backing up accuracy almost entirely on par with a fifth wheel jaw. The best part being once your close you lower the camper, slides onto the ball and its just a tee-handle which is all controlled form the ground, no climbing onto tire of truck to close jaws etc.

being a high pressure welder I am surprisingly impressed by the welds on the Andersen hitch. I DO NOT agree with the pinched tubes, in my world this is considered lazy fabrication. Properly cut/angled tubes would allow for a lot more surface weld. But at the end of the day its an insured product.... if it fails and dosent work its on them. Believe you me I was absolutely a skeptic when I first saw them come out, but being in the situation I am in the Andersen was essentially my only viable option. It tows well, installation takes 5 minutes max and the best part is I can take it out at the lake and lift the thing out without dismantling it. With the Andersen on the lowest setting the montana is still a bit nose high but not bad, and still quite comparable to my 2015 ram and B&W. Could let some air out of the bags but I don't think its that bad.

At this point, I would personally highly recommend this hitch setup, being that ive had alot of experience with goosenecks/fifth wheels, unless something crazy happens I don't forsee myself going back to a conventional fifth wheel hitch. Weight savings/ease of instsall/ease of hookup with the Andersen sells its self to me anyway, I suppose that could change the more miles I put on but I doubt it.
2015 RAM cummins 3500 dually Limited
2018 Montana high country
crestliner sportfish
4 REPLIES 4

pressure_welder
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Do you have the lower profile version of the hitch or standard height? Are you using a gooseneck or rails to mount it? If gooseneck, what make or model is it?

Ya I have the low profile version which I believe is standard for the truck flat bed model. It could actually stand to be a touch lower but still good for level. Iam using the existing recessed gooseneck ball that is installed on my flat bed so no rails or anything. And when you buy a hauler bed they come with a pre-installed gooseneck ball generally rated for 30,000lbs. I guess I also forgot to mention that the Andersen also destroys the B&w in quick height adjustment. Just have to pull a pin and raise or lower ball. Where as the B&W you have to remove hitch head, loosen 8 bolts, adjust had brackets, re-install bolts/torque. Again not the end of the world I did it many times but is a much more time consuming process.
crestliner sportfish

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Noise and chucking simply do not go with B&W. UNLESS something is not assembled correctly.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bedlam
Do you have the lower profile version of the hitch or standard height? Are you using a gooseneck or rails to mount it? If gooseneck, what make or model is it?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

pressure_welder
Explorer
Explorer
I guess my biggest reason for the review was that I was also a skeptic, mind you I didnโ€™t voice my dislike for the hitch on forums since I didnโ€™t have experience to back that opinion. I wanted to give you guys an honest review after a lot of miles with a companion and โ€œsomeโ€ miles on an Andersen. As iam writing this I just finished dropping our Montana off at dealership for work (another 100km) and I wouldnโ€™t be afraid to also say that I feel the connection of the Andersen is โ€œtighterโ€ seems like less chucking, especially noise. IF this hitch performs well in long term I donโ€™t honestly see why i would ever go back to conventional. Trust me, the fifth wheel hitch is also engrained in my blood but I am slowly converting
crestliner sportfish