cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

one more hot water tank question

kramer45011
Explorer
Explorer
My hot water tank stopped working after running out of propane and once replaced still wouldn't work. I have tried suggestion on here with no luck. When you flip the switch (DSI) it doesn't even try to light.

My question is can i manually light the pilot and if so how do i go about that?
10 REPLIES 10

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you also have electric back up? If you do there are 2 reset switches on a Suburban. Rubber black buttons, I assume on just propane there is one. Try pushing that switch to reset. You either have no 12V, no propane flow or a bad reset switch. Hopefully, it is not the PC board.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Who replaced it?
He was talking about replacing the propane

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Who replaced it?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Because it went into lockout mode.unplug the plug from the black box for a minute then plug it back in and turned the switch on

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
You said it doesn't even try to light. If you don't hear the snapping when the lighter sparks then you probably can't light it manually. If you don't hear the sparking then you probably don't a 12 volt supply and the gas valve will not open without it.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always make sure the propane is working by using the stove top. This also will remove any air that might be resent in the feed... Some propane tanks have a safety feature that if you turn it on too fast it will shut down... This is another good reason to always try your stove top first to be sure the propane is flowing ok and burning with a BLUE flame...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
OP needs to learn about his rig....reading, not asking.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Also DSI means โ€œDirect Spark Ignitionโ€ it does NOT have a pilot! The burner is lit by a electric spark controlled by a circuit board.

Do you have 12VDC available, do you have a blown fuse? Or bad circuit board?
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
kramer45011 wrote:
My hot water tank stopped working after running out of propane and once replaced still wouldn't work. I have tried suggestion on here with no luck. When you flip the switch (DSI) it doesn't even try to light.

My question is can i manually light the pilot and if so how do i go about that?

Post the make and model. Look in your owners manual also.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Does it have a pilot light? You provided no maker, model, year etc. Didnโ€™t you ask this on June 8th?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad