cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-69 in Michigan

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a hiway in worse condition anywhere? I have never been so beat up by a rough hiway in my life. Towing my TT from Flint through Lansing to Marshall Mi it felt like my spine was going to come through my head. How in the world did we let our hiway system get in such disrepair.....
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2
14 REPLIES 14

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always have to smile when people worry about going to Alaska because of the roads. Alaska has nothing on the potholes, road joints, overpass joints & gouges in the surface of the interstates.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Worst roads are in the southern half of the lower peninsula. Roads up in the northern half of the L.P. and the U.P. are beautiful in comparison and are really nice for driving. Wish all the roads in Michigan were that nice.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
garysol wrote:
Actually Davison is where I was coming from. The only damage was a lanp shade that didnt survive the trip..

ken56 wrote:
Unfortunately I have to come up to Flushing/Davison in July. There is no good side road to take as an alternate either or I would do that. I guess I will make sure things are battened down and tires are inflated properly and go slow. I know 85-90 is a common speed for people there, glad I moved out.

Are you a C2C member and did you stay at Lakeshore Resort? That is our home park and will be staying there when we come. We used to live in Davison and only 7 miles away from the park and joined when we started RVing and we used it for 2 seasons all we could. Then we moved to TN and discovered it's not worth trying to transfer our membership. We still visit relatives in the area and still use C2C properties when we travel so it's all good.

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Actually Davison is where I was coming from. The only damage was a lanp shade that didnt survive the trip..

ken56 wrote:
Unfortunately I have to come up to Flushing/Davison in July. There is no good side road to take as an alternate either or I would do that. I guess I will make sure things are battened down and tires are inflated properly and go slow. I know 85-90 is a common speed for people there, glad I moved out.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I-69 westbound west of US127 was poorly constructed about 20 years ago. First time I was on that section with my old 5th wheel I thought something was wrong with my rig. I avoid that section when possible and use US127 around the east side of Lansing.

I-69 south of Lansing is falling apart. A major reason for this is the heavy truck traffic. Michigan allows the highest gross vehicle weights (GVW) in the Midwest. Most states allow an 80,000 pound GVW while Michigan allows 160,000. This is the result of the auto industry's need for steel and is a left-over allowance for the industry since the 60s. Trucking companies will try to tell you that additional axels/wheels spreads out the heavy weight, but that is BS. Other states in the frost/freeze states do not allow such heavy weights and their roads last longer. Michigan's falls apart quicker than their roads.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

ken56
Explorer
Explorer

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ZINGERLITE wrote:
Trekkar wrote:
The trucking industry caused 99% of road damage, but they only pay 35% of maintenance costs. Data from the Congressional Budget Office.
Until they pick up the slack, there is no way that additional taxes on fuel will make up the difference. It's estimated that (1) fully loaded 18-wheeler does the same damage as 9600 cars.

I can't remember the last time i saw an open weigh station. Who's regulating what they haul?

Moot point. If those figures are correct just tax them 2/3 more. But keep in mind they will not be the ones paying it, you will every time you purchase something. And it will still be spent on protecting habitat for the Hairy Chested Nutscratcher instead of the roads.

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
Trekkar wrote:
The trucking industry caused 99% of road damage, but they only pay 35% of maintenance costs. Data from the Congressional Budget Office.
Until they pick up the slack, there is no way that additional taxes on fuel will make up the difference. It's estimated that (1) fully loaded 18-wheeler does the same damage as 9600 cars.

I can't remember the last time i saw an open weigh station. Who's regulating what they haul?

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan has higher fuel taxes than most of the surrounding states. But, what really frosts me is coming back into the state from the south on I-75...

There is the "Welcome to Michigan" sign and "BAM" there is the worst road you have seen in several hundred miles....

Some welcome - huh?

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WOMC (Detroit area) used to put out parody songs
Potholes in the street (To the tune of Dancing in the street)

I got a copy on CD. (They burned it for me) I took it in and gave it to the MDOT project engineers. they copied it and adopted it a the MDOT theme song.

What can I say

For years we have been paying more and more tax "To fix the roads" and.. Well you said it.. And we are not the only ones.

I"ve traveled a lot of the eastern US and no I-69 is not the worst by a long shot. I've also traveled I-69 from Indy to Port huron. They worked on it last year east of Flint.. Sections are downright nice now.. I drive it every 2 weeks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Need to ask Snyder about that. Better yet, let Whitless impose her 47 cent gas tax where the revenue will go primarily to other stuff rather than roads to fix them.

The secondary roads are much better. As a rule I don't drive on 69. 94 or 127.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
garysol wrote:
Is there a hiway in worse condition anywhere? I have never been so beat up by a rough hiway in my life. Towing my TT from Flint through Lansing to Marshall Mi it felt like my spine was going to come through my head. How in the world did we let our hiway system get in such disrepair.....

It has been like that ever sense they “fixed” it years ago.