Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: I-69 in Michigan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I-69 in Michigan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-69 westbound west of US127 was poorly constructed about 20 years ago. First time I was on that section with my old 5th wheel I thought something was wrong with my rig. I avoid that section when possible and use US127 around the east side of Lansing.

I-69 south of Lansing is falling apart. A major reason for this is the heavy truck traffic. Michigan allows the highest gross vehicle weights (GVW) in the Midwest. Most states allow an 80,000 pound GVW while Michigan allows 160,000. This is the result of the auto industry's need for steel and is a left-over allowance for the industry since the 60s. Trucking companies will try to tell you that additional axels/wheels spreads out the heavy weight, but that is BS. Other states in the frost/freeze states do not allow such heavy weights and their roads last longer. Michigan's falls apart quicker than their roads.

2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

garysol

Kalamazoo Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually Davison is where I was coming from. The only damage was a lanp shade that didnt survive the trip..

ken56 wrote:

Unfortunately I have to come up to Flushing/Davison in July. There is no good side road to take as an alternate either or I would do that. I guess I will make sure things are battened down and tires are inflated properly and go slow. I know 85-90 is a common speed for people there, glad I moved out.

2018 Kodiak Ultimate 288BHSL
2017 Ram 2500 6.4
2016 Heritage Glen 263RL (sold)
2012 Komfort 3530 (sold)
2008 Keystone Sprinter (DOA)
014 Ram 3500 6.7 (sold)

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garysol wrote:

Actually Davison is where I was coming from. The only damage was a lanp shade that didnt survive the trip..

ken56 wrote:

Unfortunately I have to come up to Flushing/Davison in July. There is no good side road to take as an alternate either or I would do that. I guess I will make sure things are battened down and tires are inflated properly and go slow. I know 85-90 is a common speed for people there, glad I moved out.

Are you a C2C member and did you stay at Lakeshore Resort? That is our home park and will be staying there when we come. We used to live in Davison and only 7 miles away from the park and joined when we started RVing and we used it for 2 seasons all we could. Then we moved to TN and discovered it's not worth trying to transfer our membership. We still visit relatives in the area and still use C2C properties when we travel so it's all good.

* This post was edited 06/22/19 08:10pm by ken56 *

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worst roads are in the southern half of the lower peninsula. Roads up in the northern half of the L.P. and the U.P. are beautiful in comparison and are really nice for driving. Wish all the roads in Michigan were that nice.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always have to smile when people worry about going to Alaska because of the roads. Alaska has nothing on the potholes, road joints, overpass joints & gouges in the surface of the interstates.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I-69 in Michigan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS