cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2006 Ford F53 transmission and wheel bearing maintenance

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 F53 chassis with the V-10 and five speed transmission. I'm at 66,000 miles. I'm about to head out on a ~3,500 mile trip and I just realized that I spaced doing my transmission fluid and filter change at 60,000 miles (I last did it at around 30,000 miles). The fluid looks normal but is a tad low (at the top of the "cold" measuring marks when at operating temperature).

I know this is a very subjective question but... anyone think I'm making a mistake if I top up the fluid and leave the change until after the trip? Changing the fluid before the trip would be a hell of a scramble.

Second question... the manual talks about lubricating the front wheel bearings, replacing the seals and adjusting the bearings, also at 60,000 miles. I have to admit I assumed the wheel bearings were sealed units and never noticed this in the maintenance schedule before now . I grease the steering and front suspension components but I've never messed with the bearings.

So, pretty much like the transmission... should I rush to try and have this done before the trip or just wait until after? I lifted the front end and checked for play and found none. I have noticed a sound for a while (several years) that's sort of like a medium or high pitch warble that seems more pronounced when turning. It almost sounds like a wheel cover but I know it's not that. It's not super loud but is audible at lower speeds. Now I'm wondering if it's wheel bearing related but I've never heard a bearing make a sound like that before. I do check the wheels with my hand at most gas stops for excessive heat but that's probably only going to detect a major problem with the wheel covers on.

Feeling like a dumbass for getting myself in this situation but it is what it is.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 37' bunkhouse
3 REPLIES 3

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Since you tow (pic from your sig line) you are putting the transmission fluid under more stress than if you didn't. If you changed the fluid at 30k, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Go, have a good time, and, take care of it when you get back. It's not as if the fluid is good at 60k, then bad at 60,001 miles. It's a progressive thing. Unless the transmission is shifting badly, the, fluid smells burnt, and it is off color, (brown instead of red) you should be OK. Just don't continue putting it off, just because everything seems OK . . . . . at least for now.

Chum lee

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't do full fluid changes on mine. I drain all I can from pan, refill, and change external filter. I repeat every few years.

Nothing but a gamble on the front wheel bearings. I really don't think it will matter though if you do now or after trip. You could pull the small hub cover off and take a look at the outside bearing at least to see how it looks.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
For the transmission, I would definitely just top up the fluid and go. Similarly, an extra 5000 miles on the bearings shouldn't be causing any great troubles. It's not like transmission fluid or bearing grease mysteriously turns bad at some precise mileage.