Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Level trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Level trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
cliffy49

Blue Grass

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we all agree that the best towing experience is had by having a trailer that is level or slightly nose down. My questions is, what is considered to be "slightly nose down". I am sure everyone has there own views on this, Not trying to start an argument, just curious as I have not seen any mention of this on any of the forums that I frequent.

I tow a 30 foot toy hauler so I would think that "slightly" could be anywhere from 1/2 inch to possibly 6 inches. Over 30 feet that does not seem like all that much but would like to know what others think. As I said just trying to gain some more information regarding towing a travel trailer. Currently my toy hauler sits level but we all know that tongue weight can change drastically when loaded with a different toy. Depending on weight, length and/or location of the toy. Again, just trying to add to my knowledge base.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't obsess! If the adjustment holes in your hitch do not set the trailer exactly level, it's best to set it slightly nose down rather than nose up.

2005 Leisure Sprinter Class B/2015 Honda CTX700

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks better level.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Doug above. it is not always possible to get the trailer exactly level because of different hitch heights, trailer coupler heights, truck hitch heights etc, etc. etc. so rather than set it up with the tongue a little bit high, it is better to have the tongue a bit low.

6 inches would be a huge extreme and would most likely have the WD bars hitting the ground often. It would also overload the front axle of the trailer a lot and possibly cause a blowout. Remember, an inch low at the front equals almost an inch high at the rear for a two inch difference. That slant would be noticeable.

I think most consider an inch or less as "slightly" if you can't get it level. If it looks level then it most likely is close. [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DougE wrote:

Don't obsess! If the adjustment holes in your hitch do not set the trailer exactly level, it's best to set it slightly nose down rather than nose up.

x2

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

demiles

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One degree of slope maximum over the distance of the effective tongue length. ETL is the distance from the ball to the axle centerline of the trailer. One degree over a distance of 20 ft is about 4 in.

2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a trailer that you can lift you observe that it is hard to lift the tongue off the ground, but when the tongue is way up in the air it is super easy to lift, and at some point (on single axle) you reach a teetering point (balance point) where the weight is perfectly balanced on the axle (half front, half rear).
The nose-down idea is to favor putting more weight forward vs putting it to the rear. A rear-heavy trailer will sway, but a nose heavy trailer will only put more weight on the TV.
Up or down one hole (2 inches?) is not a big deal and has minimal effect, but nose down if in doubt.
Nose down will give you more clearance for the rear bumper of the trailer as a bonus, but possibly less clearance at the hitch.

on tandem axle trailer nose down will put more weight on the front axles and will handle better then weight on the rear one.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told as close to level as possible, whatever leaves nose slightly down. If your options are 1/2 inch up or 1-1/2 inch down, choose the latter.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I set ours up to slightly nose down. I had it level and went to the next possible setting to get it down at the front. Moving the hitch head down on the shank one hole was too much. I ended up getting a ball with a 1" rise off the internet (could not find elsewhere) to get it slightly nose down.

After re-adjusting our Reese DC WDH, it was a noticeable improvement having it slightly nose down.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most WDHs have adjustable ball mounts every 2". I see no reason to be more than 2" out of level. Remember, this is measured by the frame front to rear of trailer.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Level trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS