Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Level trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Level trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no generic answer for several reasons. The bigger reasons can be length from the jack being weighed to the first axle....and number of axles....and even the length of the equalizer bars (distance between the tires).

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey folks...gotta keep these things in context...

Im one who says keep the tongue level or pointing slightly down....but know this only new aspect of these new trailer systems. More detail will have eyeballs roll...

Most are out of context...meaning this a SYSTEM comprised of many components...that are ALL interrelated

One example is where the trailer axle symmetrical centerline is in reference to it’s coupler ball center line

Just weighing the tongue in reference to level will have way different values when the axle centerline from trailer to trailer is different

Toss in trailer CG and just this ONE aspect also changes

Last time gmw posted info on his trailers, IIRC, his are more of traditional architecture. Meaning the axle assembly center line is much farther rearward than more modern trailers that,IMHO, have more teeter-tootered weight centered than older, traditional

There is a caster like to these different architecture of where the trailer axle centerline is vs coupler ball centerline

Yet another...there is no one size fits all...but level or pointing slightly down has solved most all trailers I’ve helped solve...hands on and via Internet advice

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

....snip....

Last time gmw posted info on his trailers, IIRC, his are more of traditional architecture. Meaning the axle assembly center line is much farther rearward than more modern trailers that,IMHO, have more teeter-tootered weight centered than older, traditional .....snip...

Hi Ben, yes you are correct, my 2012 funfinder does in fact have axles placed rather "farther back, behind the center mass" of the trailer, compared to many of the current gen of trailers.

My two horse Titan horse trailer is also of this rear placed axle design, even more so than the travel trailer (which is typical of horse/stock trailers ).

In my mind and experience, this attribute ( having the axle(s) aft ) does in fact make for a very nice, stable towed trailer.

It was one of the design elements that attracted me to the funfinder. I love towing this thing....tows really well. With the blue ox swaypro WD hitch, both these trailers run down the road very well even on windy days.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Level trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS