cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One very last water tank question

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
Where would the fuse be for my hot water tank. It is a direct spark ignition. I have checked the box with the fuses all are marked but none mention hot water tank
13 REPLIES 13

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban SW6D.....

1) DC Voltage goes to on/off switch from a FUSED source (DC Dist Panel)
2) From switch it goes to a DC Junction box on left side of tank from the rear----wire nuts used to connect wires ---check if loose)
3) From the DC Junction Box the wiring goes to the set of t-stats --- High temp first then down connecting wire to Normal Temp
**(High temp trips if normal temp fails----manual reset via the PUSH TO RESET cover above gas valve---right side is for the propane Red Wires)
(Left side for 120VAC ---yours will only have the one on right side)

4) From the t-stats DC goes to circuit board ---backside of tank or attached to cabinet wall
5) DC then goes from circuit board to Gas Valve AND spark Electrode

Follow the DC to switch/from switch/from t-stat etc
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
The diagram is on the right side of page 6 showing it connected with red wires. The picture is on page 18, unfortunately there is no picture of the actual location on the water heater. You might have to peel back some insulating foam on the side of the tank or remove an access panel to see the switch. Page 22 has a troubleshooting section that might help also.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Can you advise on what page you see info about the circuit breaker reset on side of tank?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
looking at the service manual at BryantRV (water heaters are at the bottom under miscellaneous) Link

It looks like there is a resettable circuit breaker on the side of the tank. you might see if the button is popped popped out. There is also a troubleshooting section near the bottom that you can run through with a digital volt meter if you have one. If you do not have a meter they are fairly cheap at Walmart or even Harbor Freight. We can also help you use the meter to perform any needed checks.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

kramer45011
Explorer
Explorer
Suburban SW6D

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Npdchief07 wrote:
It is a gas hot water heater, no electric

Can you get us the make and model? Guessing it's an Atwood here's a few things.

WATER HEATER LOCK OUT - GAS PRESENT BUT NO SPARK
High tension lead wire loose --- Secure wire connection on circuit board

Electrodes loosely attached to main burner --- Secure electrodes to main burner

Improper electrode gapping --- Re-position spark gap to 1/8? and into path of flame

Dirty electrodes --- Clean electrodes

Wires loose in electrode porcelain --- Replace electrodes

Cracked porcelain on electrode --- Replace electrodes

Defective circuit board --- Replace circuit board

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Npdchief07 wrote:

My propane refrigerators have all required 12 volts for the controller and ignitor.

I did borrow a 1970's vintage trailer once that had a pilot light and no electronics. Anything somewhat modern is going to require 12 volts.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
BRAND/Model would be helpful
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those fuses are not famous for their labels. It's likely combined with something else. What is the issue? How about pulling the 15 or 20 amp fuses to see which one makes the light go off on the switch that turns on the water heater (if it has a lighted switch)?

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
It would be listed as W/H or water heater and there should be a 120v breaker and a 12 v fuse. There are also some reset buttons on the heater itself. Might try resetting these.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Make, model, year of your folding trailer?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad