Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Cross Winds
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cross Winds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
BayouBoys

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for a truck, I have a F250 diesel. I would be looking for a small 5th wheel if I go that route.

Currently we have a 35' travel trailer that has never felt right towing. Upgrade truck from an F150 to F250 gas and now F250 diesel, adjusted EAZ-lift hitch a dozen different times still does not feel comfortable in the wind.

The kids have gotten older and I want to downsize, DW want more living space.
After all the truck upgrades, I want to make sure I know what to expect if I decide to go the 5th wheel route.

2014 Passport 3220BH
2019 Ford F250 6.7L

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

If you think that a high profile 5th wheel will magically make the side wind pressure go away, think again. Just because you don't feel it doesn't make it safe.
The question was "Does the 5th wheel pull any better with crosswinds?"

"Just because you don't feel it doesn't make it safe."

If I'm not being moved around enough to feel it, it's unlikely that it's an issue. Yes, a sudden gust of wind could be a problem, but that next truck coming toward me could jump the center line too. You simply can't plan for all eventualities. Do what you can and hope for the best.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BayouBoys

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

If you think that a high profile 5th wheel will magically make the side wind pressure go away, think again. Just because you don't feel it doesn't make it safe.
The question was "Does the 5th wheel pull any better with crosswinds?"

"Just because you don't feel it doesn't make it safe."

If I'm not being moved around enough to feel it, it's unlikely that it's an issue. Yes, a sudden gust of wind could be a problem, but that next truck coming toward me could jump the center line too. You simply can't plan for all eventualities. Do what you can and hope for the best.

I have always been under the impression that a 5th wheel was more stable to tow than a TT due to the hitching point being over the axle and a much higher tongue weight. I understand that the crosswind would be the same or greater but the would respond better due to the hitching point.

So as I understand what you guys are saying is there would be no advantage to a 5er in these conditions?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your understanding is correct, a FW is less likely to sway in the wind, due to what you mentioned. In a severe wind, a slight dog track may happen, but the side to side sway not near as much. You will appreciate the ease of hookup/disconnect as well. It will track a little more to the inside when turning corners, due to hitch point, but you will get used to that quickly.

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ONE advantage to a TT over a 5er is they are easier to backup.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a triple axle toy hauler and I drive for a multi-state RV dealership. I find the 5th wheel setup to be the most stable of any RV out there. I've driven everything from Class B's to those beautiful 45' diesel pushers in strong winds and the 5th wheel wins hands down in stability.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 12:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I own a triple axle toy hauler and I drive for a multi-state RV dealership. I find the 5th wheel setup to be the most stable of any RV out there. I've driven everything from Class B's to those beautiful 45' diesel pushers in strong winds and the 5th wheel wins hands down in stability.

Hmmm ... our 24 foot Class C motorhome on it's way underloaded over-kill E450 DRW chassis has been pretty solid in cross-winds, and in all other travel conditions we have been in. We have traveled (carefully) in around 65 MPH gusting highway cross-winds with it - which would have been ludicrous towing either a 5'er or TT by anything (carefully or otherwise).

IMHO, towing can never match non-towing from an overall safety viewpoint ... and if one is going to tow ... use a towing vehicle that weighs as much as possible in relation to what is being towed, make what is being towed as short and low-profile as possible, and tow a 5'er instead of a TT.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just made the switch. Big difference 28’ TT to 34’ FW, the FW is much more stable in cross wind. As far as backing, there is a difference and there will be an adjustment, but once you get used to it, a FW is just as easy to back up.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TTs are inherently susceptible to strong gusting side winds. Towed our TT once with strong gusting winds and it was like driving on marbles and hard to stay in a straight line down the highway. Very white knuckle stuff.

A FW can get blown clear over. We spoke to a guy in a CG in Wa. once who regularly travels the I-90 between Spokane and Seattle where there can be strong winds. He said he has seen many FWs blown right over. FWs have a huge sail area compared to TTs and being much taller, makes them easier to blow over. You could be traveling happily down the road and then whammy. Even semi trucks can get blown over so don't assume your FW will be just fine.

If it does get really windy, pull over somewhere and wait it out whether you've got a TT or FW just like semi drivers do sometimes.

I hate CAPTCHA. It just will not go away...

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cross Winds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS