Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Interesting delam issue - revised 6-24, more pics
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Interesting delam issue - revised 6-24, more pics

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The glue from other side is not going to work most of the time.
Typical delamination is fiberglass separating from backing plywood, so adding glue to back of the plywood will not do anything.
Than you need to inspect if that is the case. I guess that whole fillon, with backing plywood coming off the frame is possible too, but that is not delamination.
Such a case would be camper coming apart for me.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good from here! I wouldn't fck with it.
Or I guess glue it up, make sure you compress the glue. Worst case it doesn't stick and you have to screw it.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

….that enormous one piece nose/undercab/bulkhead "cap" doesn't look to me like FRP / chopped strand (looking at the product obliquely, in your photos)….it could be a thermoset molded piece, lighter than polyester chop strand FRP.....but I could be wrong.

….when (and if) you follow the manufacturer's suggestion, and cut a hole from under the mattress area, rent a micro-inspection camera (like a sea-snake or similar), and have a look at just what is under/inside that sagging "cap" gap, and try and ascertain if moisture may be getting in there.

If the back of that molded cap has any delaminated organic material bonded to the backside, any additional bonding you spray in that inspection port may just delaminate again without additional/further measures. You may need to fasten that C-channel along the undercab framing after you apply any adhesive, as insurance against future failure.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought the fiberglass nose was glued directly to the aluminum frame. It was done that way for the walls for sure. bighatnohorse had posted some pictures from the factory back in '08 (https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22030250) but they were linked to his old forum server.

Rich, if you still have these photos it may help a bunch:

20081016182818_front_cap_mold.jpg
20081016183131_frontcap_install.jpg
2008102281843_front_cap3.jpg

They were in http://www.eaglecapowners.com/campfire/upload/Admin-Rich.

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

I thought the fiberglass nose was glued directly to the aluminum frame. (https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22030250) but they were linked to his old forum server.

For sure glued directly to the frame, I visited the La Grand factory in 2010 and witnessed this first hand...

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

I thought the fiberglass nose was glued directly to the aluminum frame. It was done that way for the walls for sure. bighatnohorse had posted some pictures from the factory back in '08 (https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22030250) but they were linked to his old forum server.

Okiedok:
[image]

[image]

[image]

Glacier D

Port Orchard, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The exterior Fiberglass walls were vacuum bonded directly to the frame, no Luan used for a backing, however, the front cap was glued to Luan that was applied to the nose. Therefore if the is any kind of leak up there it will delaminate due to the Luan swelling and then drying out. Not sure why they were built like this, should have used Azdel instead of Luan. Azdel doesn't swell or rot when wet, has better insulation value, and does well with many adhesives.

Just my 2 cents here, but I will never again buy any camper or 5th wheel that uses Luan for an exterior backing. Lance and Cirrus use Adzel for backing and Arctic Fox uses luan. Not sure what the newer Eagle Caps use or Host as their websites don't say.

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

Glacier D

Port Orchard, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Old Eagle Cap owners website had some pictures of a 1050 being built with a picture of the nose prior to the cap being glued on. Plenty of luan behind that cap. That 1050 was built around the same time as mine in late 2008, not sure how Adventure RV built them a couple years later.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glacier D wrote:

The Old Eagle Cap owners website had some pictures of a 1050 being built with a picture of the nose prior to the cap being glued on. Plenty of luan behind that cap. That 1050 was built around the same time as mine in late 2008, not sure how Adventure RV built them a couple years later.

I remember some wood to fill the radius near the top and bottom corners but thought the rest was aluminum frame with foam panels between. It would be nice to find those pictures again.

billyray50

North Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like your not far from ALP. Did Brad give you an option to bring it to factory and they could look at it and maybe fix it for you?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Interesting delam issue - revised 6-24, more pics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS