cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Planning

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of springing for the $39 for RV Trip Wizard. Any opinions on it and/or other trip planning preferences?

Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES 17

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The latest update has a good feature - the Research tab. Pick your stop and you can select a number of points of interest around the stop. Fuel, groceries, restaurants etc. Just for kicks select "Department Stores" and see how many dollar stores there are.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Ken,

I had a typo in previous post. Aerial view is only available when on line. Road view can be used off line if maps are downloaded.

By the way, I agree with your earlier post about Mapsource being much easier to use than Base Camp. I was able to install in on my Windows 10 computer so I can still use it. If you still have an installation disk, give it a try.

Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:
If you have Windows 10, there is a good mapping program called "Maps". Look in Microsoft. Not much instructional information available (that I've found). More I use it the more I like it. You can download maps to use when not on line, although when on line, only the road view is available.
I also use 2 standalone Garmins. In addition to being able to use when not in cell range, they have tons more capability than any phone based system.

Thanks
I did not know that that was there. It's pretty fast too.

KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
If you have Windows 10, there is a good mapping program called "Maps". Look in Microsoft. Not much instructional information available (that I've found). More I use it the more I like it. You can download maps to use when not on line, although when on line, only the road view is available.
I also use 2 standalone Garmins. In addition to being able to use when not in cell range, they have tons more capability than any phone based system.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
luv2gowalkabout nailed it. I have the Rand McNally Truckers atlas too. Always bring it with me when traveling. That's a good point to bring up. Always carry a map or atlas. If you are without service whether it be a Garmin or similar type navigation unit glitch or no cell service, you have something to navigate with.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

luv2gowalkabout
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, I have many tools in my tool box for trips. I always start with trip wizard. I find it is worth the money and gives me great information for mileage, campgrounds, and routes during the planning stage. It does not have everything but their routing has improved. Once the trip is basically planned,I use google, and various books and apps. Google doesn't do low clearance and route preferences are for automobiles. I find it is a must to have my truckers road atlas book for low clearances, Next Exit for gas and food on interstates, RVPark reviews for CG information and gas buddy for diesel fuel.
Hope that helps

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
That's good to know rr2254545. Every tutorial I've seen used Base Camp. I'm going to give that a try and see how that works out. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: I was able to save an Excel spreadsheet from RV Trip wizard and then get that uploaded to the Garmin 760LMT but not a GPX file. Then within the Garmin itself it shows a "Custom POI". Whether or not that works I won't know for a couple more weeks when I go on a short trip across NY State. If it does, then I will use the Garmin on long trips and have Google Maps as a backup....Just in case.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
No,there are times that a stand alone GPS would be beneficial because I don't believe google maps works fully when there's no cell service. Like real time traffic and accident locations. You need cell service to get that stuff. You can transfer the RV Trip Wizard file to a GPS unit but I can't get it to work. I have a Garmin so the protocol is to use Base Camp. It's not a user friendly program. Some people say they have no problem using it so it could just be that I have difficulty. I suppose I could manually enter everything into my Garmin but that's a lot of work if it's a long trip you're planning. Checking fuel locations for access is going to depend on the size of your RV. Obviously the bigger the RV, the more room you need to maneuver. I have a 34' 5th wheel so I need a decent amount of maneuverability and height clearance where a truck camper or class B won't have those concerns. Nothing is going to be fool proof. I found what works for me while others use different methods and find that works for them.

Note first you have to transfer the Trip Wizard file to your computer then using Garmin "POI loader" transfer it to your Garmin - it is a really easy process - and yes it does work - it does not have to load using Base Camp
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the more tool at hand, the better. I have the Garmin RV660. It's pretty good. Using it in areas I already know, I do know better, shorter ways to get to the same place.
Our Ram truck's gps is worse. Google map on the phone when there is coverage is the best. I don't depend on any one of them. Just use them and look at the road signs.
Using a paper map for longer trips is easier to see the big picture. Then use the GPS or Google to fine-tune the trip.

The old Garmin map programs were great. Plot the trip in the program and then plug it into the gps. I would break the trip down by leg or day and use the GPS that way. Basecamp suck compared to the old mapsource program.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
No,there are times that a stand alone GPS would be beneficial because I don't believe google maps works fully when there's no cell service. Like real time traffic and accident locations. You need cell service to get that stuff. You can transfer the RV Trip Wizard file to a GPS unit but I can't get it to work. I have a Garmin so the protocol is to use Base Camp. It's not a user friendly program. Some people say they have no problem using it so it could just be that I have difficulty. I suppose I could manually enter everything into my Garmin but that's a lot of work if it's a long trip you're planning. Checking fuel locations for access is going to depend on the size of your RV. Obviously the bigger the RV, the more room you need to maneuver. I have a 34' 5th wheel so I need a decent amount of maneuverability and height clearance where a truck camper or class B won't have those concerns. Nothing is going to be fool proof. I found what works for me while others use different methods and find that works for them.

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Steve, I plan my trip using RV Trip Wizard. I find locations along the way that I will need to get fuel based on what I've entered for MPG calculations. I also find campground stops along the way if it's a long trip. Then I use Google maps to get a satellite view of every stop so I know I can get in and out of the fueling places. Once I'm pretty certain I have everything entered and I'm happy with things, I use Google maps and re-trace what I've done in RV Trip Wizard. When I'm ready to go on the trip, I will text myself the Google map and route and use that as my navigation. I do have a stand alone trucker GPS (Garmin 760LMT) and I would use it except I can't get the saved RV Trip Wizard to transfer to the unit using Base Camp. It's not user friendly so I use my phone as I said. For me, RV Trip Wizard and Google maps is just the easiest solution. But as I said in my other post, these are just tools and not perfect. For instance, recently we went on a short trip and ran into a low bridge that RV Trip Wizard didn't have listed. I notified their support and they added it now but if I wasn't paying attention it could have been an ugly outcome.

Thanks again! Are you saying that you don't believe a stand alone GPS is necessary? Does Google maps on a phone work even without cell service? Is it possible to transfer the Trip Wizard file to a GPS or are you just having technical difficulties? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you wouldn't need to cross check fueling facilities if you used the Garmin, right? I hope you don't mind all these questions.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, I plan my trip using RV Trip Wizard. I find locations along the way that I will need to get fuel based on what I've entered for MPG calculations. I also find campground stops along the way if it's a long trip. Then I use Google maps to get a satellite view of every stop so I know I can get in and out of the fueling places. Once I'm pretty certain I have everything entered and I'm happy with things, I use Google maps and re-trace what I've done in RV Trip Wizard. When I'm ready to go on the trip, I will text myself the Google map and route and use that as my navigation. I do have a stand alone trucker GPS (Garmin 760LMT) and I would use it except I can't get the saved RV Trip Wizard to transfer to the unit using Base Camp. It's not user friendly so I use my phone as I said. For me, RV Trip Wizard and Google maps is just the easiest solution. But as I said in my other post, these are just tools and not perfect. For instance, recently we went on a short trip and ran into a low bridge that RV Trip Wizard didn't have listed. I notified their support and they added it now but if I wasn't paying attention it could have been an ugly outcome.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
SteveWoz wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
RV Parky, GS Trip Planner, Google Maps, Streets & Trips if you can find it. First 3 are free 4 is no longer in production but can be found eBay or Craig's list.

Thanks for the reply, (Ed?). Same question to you: Do you recommend a stand-alone GPS or do you use your phone for navigation?

Steve

Love Trip Wizard I have planned 5 trips with it each trip has 25+ stops-I am even using it to plan a trip to Germany this fall - yes it work in Europe too

I have a Garmin RV GPS as we get to areas with no cell service
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
RV Parky, GS Trip Planner, Google Maps, Streets & Trips if you can find it. First 3 are free 4 is no longer in production but can be found eBay or Craig's list.

Thanks for the reply, (Ed?). Same question to you: Do you recommend a stand-alone GPS or do you use your phone for navigation?

Steve