Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Trip Planning
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Trip Planning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
SteveWoz

Simsbury, CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking of springing for the $39 for RV Trip Wizard. Any opinions on it and/or other trip planning preferences?

Thanks in advance.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have and use RV Trip Wizard. It's a good program and worth the money. With that said, it's not perfect. Use it as just one of the tools you use to plan a trip and you'll be fine.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV Parky, GS Trip Planner, Google Maps, Streets & Trips if you can find it. First 3 are free 4 is no longer in production but can be found eBay or Craig's list.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

SteveWoz

Simsbury, CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I have and use RV Trip Wizard. It's a good program and worth the money. With that said, it's not perfect. Use it as just one of the tools you use to plan a trip and you'll be fine.

Thanks for that info, Rob(?).

Could I also ask, do you recommend a stand-alone GPS or do you use your phone for navigation?

SteveWoz

Simsbury, CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

RV Parky, GS Trip Planner, Google Maps, Streets & Trips if you can find it. First 3 are free 4 is no longer in production but can be found eBay or Craig's list.

Thanks for the reply, (Ed?). Same question to you: Do you recommend a stand-alone GPS or do you use your phone for navigation?

Steve

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SteveWoz wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, (Ed?). Same question to you: Do you recommend a stand-alone GPS or do you use your phone for navigation?

Steve

Love Trip Wizard I have planned 5 trips with it each trip has 25+ stops-I am even using it to plan a trip to Germany this fall - yes it work in Europe too

I have a Garmin RV GPS as we get to areas with no cell service

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
354 Campgrounds,80K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1710 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve, I plan my trip using RV Trip Wizard. I find locations along the way that I will need to get fuel based on what I've entered for MPG calculations. I also find campground stops along the way if it's a long trip. Then I use Google maps to get a satellite view of every stop so I know I can get in and out of the fueling places. Once I'm pretty certain I have everything entered and I'm happy with things, I use Google maps and re-trace what I've done in RV Trip Wizard. When I'm ready to go on the trip, I will text myself the Google map and route and use that as my navigation. I do have a stand alone trucker GPS (Garmin 760LMT) and I would use it except I can't get the saved RV Trip Wizard to transfer to the unit using Base Camp. It's not user friendly so I use my phone as I said. For me, RV Trip Wizard and Google maps is just the easiest solution. But as I said in my other post, these are just tools and not perfect. For instance, recently we went on a short trip and ran into a low bridge that RV Trip Wizard didn't have listed. I notified their support and they added it now but if I wasn't paying attention it could have been an ugly outcome.

SteveWoz

Simsbury, CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Steve, I plan my trip using RV Trip Wizard. I find locations along the way that I will need to get fuel based on what I've entered for MPG calculations. I also find campground stops along the way if it's a long trip. Then I use Google maps to get a satellite view of every stop so I know I can get in and out of the fueling places. Once I'm pretty certain I have everything entered and I'm happy with things, I use Google maps and re-trace what I've done in RV Trip Wizard. When I'm ready to go on the trip, I will text myself the Google map and route and use that as my navigation. I do have a stand alone trucker GPS (Garmin 760LMT) and I would use it except I can't get the saved RV Trip Wizard to transfer to the unit using Base Camp. It's not user friendly so I use my phone as I said. For me, RV Trip Wizard and Google maps is just the easiest solution. But as I said in my other post, these are just tools and not perfect. For instance, recently we went on a short trip and ran into a low bridge that RV Trip Wizard didn't have listed. I notified their support and they added it now but if I wasn't paying attention it could have been an ugly outcome.

Thanks again! Are you saying that you don't believe a stand alone GPS is necessary? Does Google maps on a phone work even without cell service? Is it possible to transfer the Trip Wizard file to a GPS or are you just having technical difficulties? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you wouldn't need to cross check fueling facilities if you used the Garmin, right? I hope you don't mind all these questions.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No,there are times that a stand alone GPS would be beneficial because I don't believe google maps works fully when there's no cell service. Like real time traffic and accident locations. You need cell service to get that stuff. You can transfer the RV Trip Wizard file to a GPS unit but I can't get it to work. I have a Garmin so the protocol is to use Base Camp. It's not a user friendly program. Some people say they have no problem using it so it could just be that I have difficulty. I suppose I could manually enter everything into my Garmin but that's a lot of work if it's a long trip you're planning. Checking fuel locations for access is going to depend on the size of your RV. Obviously the bigger the RV, the more room you need to maneuver. I have a 34' 5th wheel so I need a decent amount of maneuverability and height clearance where a truck camper or class B won't have those concerns. Nothing is going to be fool proof. I found what works for me while others use different methods and find that works for them.

* This post was edited 06/22/19 09:42pm by RobWNY *

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the more tool at hand, the better. I have the Garmin RV660. It's pretty good. Using it in areas I already know, I do know better, shorter ways to get to the same place.
Our Ram truck's gps is worse. Google map on the phone when there is coverage is the best. I don't depend on any one of them. Just use them and look at the road signs.
Using a paper map for longer trips is easier to see the big picture. Then use the GPS or Google to fine-tune the trip.

The old Garmin map programs were great. Plot the trip in the program and then plug it into the gps. I would break the trip down by leg or day and use the GPS that way. Basecamp suck compared to the old mapsource program.

I (2-10-05) bought a 2002 F350 CC SWD PSD and a new 2003 Citation 10'8. I have been a tent camper all my life. I wanted more comfort while camping and CraterLake Ski Patrol.
It's time for more space. I purchased a 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Trip Planning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS