cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wow! Dealer Comments!

jmbstudios
Explorer
Explorer
So we are looking at a new 5'r and have a model all picked out that will serve us well. We are ready to buy right away.

We found a national chain that had the exact model (same year) we want at two different locations in the same state, just hours apart. One location is a lot closer to us.
We got a price from each location. One price was lower than the other. We asked the higher dealer (very close to home) to match the lower price since it's a national chain.

They said no because the other locations model was older.... Uhhh, they are both 2019 models. Sales manager said yeah but the build date on their unit is a couple months older than ours. Ours is a newer model.

We said, you guys are a national chain and you can't price match your own prices on the identical unit?? They are both 2019. A couple months difference in build date does not make one a newer model. I understand a few bucks in shipping charges maybe..
He said well we arent going to price match.
We said OK we will buy at the other location....

Then he says..... well if you dont buy from my location, you can expect to be put at the back of the line when it comes to any warranty work or maintenance work. You will not be a priority here.
WTH??? Is this guy serious? Does he really work here or were we on a hidden camera show??

At that point we walked out.

My better half fired off an email to their corporate letting them know what this jackwagon said to us. Within an hour we had a phone call from them wanting to make this right and asking what they could do to make it right... We missed the call and havent called back. Not sure what we will say as we are pretty pissed off to treated that way.

What an experience....
2019 F250 Lariat FX4
2018 Genesis Supreme 32CR
PRS and Taylor Guitars
27 REPLIES 27

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarabooBob wrote:
While looking for a replacement for my last TT, I stopped at this national chain and got a great price on the unit that I wanted. When we were walking back to the sales office, the salesman informed me that the add ons included $1000 delivery, $200 for battery and box, $100 for a full LP tank or $250 for 2 full LP tanks, $300 for paperwork, I stopped listening and turned around and walked out the door.

I bought a similar model (also Forest River but different brand) I just about fell off my chair when the salesman informed me that the price on the information sheet sitting on the counter of the TT included everything except tax and license. I had my wife go back to the dealer to look at the TT, while talking to her, the salesman informed us that they would also add an electric tongue jack at no cost, we signed the paperwork on the spot.

When I fired up the furnace a couple of months later and discovered that it did not work, I contacted the dealer and he said bring it in. They fixed it the same day, let it run overnight, and I picked it up the next day. No hassle, no ****, no charge.

When I buy my next TT, guess who will get my business? The dealer could not buy the kind of advertising that he gets from me. Several friends have bought from him with the same type of service.

Please name the good dealer, as much as forums like to highlight the bad dealers and salesmen we should also bring up those who treat us well and drive a fair bargain.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
I am Groot

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard of truck dealers saying the same thing, neighbor priced out a Dodge truck in Portland compared to an Idaho dealer and the Portland guy said they would not do the warranty work for the Idaho truck.

I think there's enough qualified dealers out there so he just found another, I don't even think they can turn you away but those are trucks and not trailers...
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fix pay plans and you fix the problem. This nonsense has been going on since the Model T when commission based pay plans are used.
I was chatting with a multi store GM dealer in his open door office when a customer came in and thanked him for saving $3k playing 2 of his stores against each other. He was POd but didn't fix the problem.
Puma 30RKSS

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Why is it folks have a bad experience with a dealer and take the time to post, but wont put up the name of said dealer? Everyone knows who it is anyway.

Or don't name the great dealer.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Sorry, but I think you got a realistic, honest response.

I bought our first fifth wheel out of state - much better price than local, and the local dealer didn't give us the time of day. Well, we had nothing but problems when it came to warranty work because the local guy didn't want to do it.

I did the opposite when I bought my last new boat. Paid a little more to go with the local dealer, and I get nothing short of OUTSTANDING service - always put at the front of the line.

To me, the bottom line is if you want the dealer to do warranty/service work, the selling dealer is at least as important as the brand of RV you buy. Get a bad dealer, and your experience can be terrible.
While I agree about realistic response it can be said in a much better way. Simply state that units they sell will take priority in being serviced. I paid a little more for my new pontoon boat from the local dealer,(family type dealer). The service they provide is second to none.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Everyone knows who it is anyway.

??

Pretty big country with lots of dealers. I have no idea who is being talked about.

Pretty big country but only 1 dealer that could even make the claim to be "nationwide". Add to that the OPs profile which says "Sunny Southwest" along with his statement their were 2 branches in his state.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Everyone knows who it is anyway.

??

Pretty big country with lots of dealers. I have no idea who is being talked about.

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
Sad part is when you use the local guy and still get the attitude and poor service!

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Why is it folks have a bad experience with a dealer and take the time to post, but wont put up the name of said dealer? Everyone knows who it is anyway.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but I think you got a realistic, honest response.

I bought our first fifth wheel out of state - much better price than local, and the local dealer didn't give us the time of day. Well, we had nothing but problems when it came to warranty work because the local guy didn't want to do it.

I did the opposite when I bought my last new boat. Paid a little more to go with the local dealer, and I get nothing short of OUTSTANDING service - always put at the front of the line.

To me, the bottom line is if you want the dealer to do warranty/service work, the selling dealer is at least as important as the brand of RV you buy. Get a bad dealer, and your experience can be terrible.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our coach from a dealer 500 miles away.....saved 9 grand over local one. I was willing to buy from local if he was even 5 grand more, but they wouldn't budge. All I got was a "Thanks for calling". Ironically, that dealer's sister shop ended up doing some warranty work on it as a "new" dealer who just opened up selling our brand wouldn't fix it cuz of this and that. See ya!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
While looking for a replacement for my last TT, I stopped at this national chain and got a great price on the unit that I wanted. When we were walking back to the sales office, the salesman informed me that the add ons included $1000 delivery, $200 for battery and box, $100 for a full LP tank or $250 for 2 full LP tanks, $300 for paperwork, I stopped listening and turned around and walked out the door.

I bought a similar model (also Forest River but different brand) I just about fell off my chair when the salesman informed me that the price on the information sheet sitting on the counter of the TT included everything except tax and license. I had my wife go back to the dealer to look at the TT, while talking to her, the salesman informed us that they would also add an electric tongue jack at no cost, we signed the paperwork on the spot.

When I fired up the furnace a couple of months later and discovered that it did not work, I contacted the dealer and he said bring it in. They fixed it the same day, let it run overnight, and I picked it up the next day. No hassle, no ****, no charge.

When I buy my next TT, guess who will get my business? The dealer could not buy the kind of advertising that he gets from me. Several friends have bought from him with the same type of service.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately that type of response is not that unusual in the RV world. I had a somewhat similar situation with a national RV dealer. I knew by checking online that they had the type of RV I was interested in. I had checked the brochures and specs fully and it fit what we were looking for but I needed to see the real deal. My sister and I went on a road trip to check them out(no man with us). When I talked to the salesman, it became rapidly apparent I knew more about the brand and trailers in general than he did. So I got moved up to the "sales manager". It was pretty much the same result. He kept telling me that the things I wanted, double pane windows, electric/gas fridge, DSI water heater, metal awning cover over the large awning were not necessary, added to much weight, blah, blah, blah. But the options that were on the unit he had in stock were just what I needed or were standard. BS. Needless to say, our conversation went down hill from there. When I walked out of there, I wouldn't have gotten a trailer from him if he gave it to me. We ended up buying from a small dealer, 200 miles further away, had a great buying experience and saved $3,000 to boot. And the few things that we needed repaired under warranty, we got authorization to have an independent RV repair facility to handle.