Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Wow! Dealer Comments!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wow! Dealer Comments!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Big1

Westcoast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, that is what was told to me also so I didn't mind driving to the longer place I figure that we just take the fiver out for a little vacation. When you can save thousand yeah so we went and bought one in the next state but yes that is what they do.

If it really come to some warranty work I went to Camping World they were going to take care of me but that was my last, to the last last resort.

2018 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've found out one of many problems with the RV industry.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call the Rv mfg. and ask where you can bring your unit for warranty work. Forest River allowed me to go to a "repair only" facility near me for my warranty work. I've never been back to my dealer since the purchase.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

Call the Rv mfg. and ask where you can bring your unit for warranty work. Forest River allowed me to go to a "repair only" facility near me for my warranty work. I've never been back to my dealer since the purchase.
This is a excellent idea. This is a option along with a mobile tech that was suggested earlier.

Sadly the RV industry is nothing like the automotive world. The mfg really take advantage of the dealers on warranty work. They usually have a backlog of full price repairs and have very little incentive to preform repairs at a steep discount for the mfg.

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately that type of response is not that unusual in the RV world. I had a somewhat similar situation with a national RV dealer. I knew by checking online that they had the type of RV I was interested in. I had checked the brochures and specs fully and it fit what we were looking for but I needed to see the real deal. My sister and I went on a road trip to check them out(no man with us). When I talked to the salesman, it became rapidly apparent I knew more about the brand and trailers in general than he did. So I got moved up to the "sales manager". It was pretty much the same result. He kept telling me that the things I wanted, double pane windows, electric/gas fridge, DSI water heater, metal awning cover over the large awning were not necessary, added to much weight, blah, blah, blah. But the options that were on the unit he had in stock were just what I needed or were standard. BS. Needless to say, our conversation went down hill from there. When I walked out of there, I wouldn't have gotten a trailer from him if he gave it to me. We ended up buying from a small dealer, 200 miles further away, had a great buying experience and saved $3,000 to boot. And the few things that we needed repaired under warranty, we got authorization to have an independent RV repair facility to handle.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While looking for a replacement for my last TT, I stopped at this national chain and got a great price on the unit that I wanted. When we were walking back to the sales office, the salesman informed me that the add ons included $1000 delivery, $200 for battery and box, $100 for a full LP tank or $250 for 2 full LP tanks, $300 for paperwork, I stopped listening and turned around and walked out the door.

I bought a similar model (also Forest River but different brand) I just about fell off my chair when the salesman informed me that the price on the information sheet sitting on the counter of the TT included everything except tax and license. I had my wife go back to the dealer to look at the TT, while talking to her, the salesman informed us that they would also add an electric tongue jack at no cost, we signed the paperwork on the spot.

When I fired up the furnace a couple of months later and discovered that it did not work, I contacted the dealer and he said bring it in. They fixed it the same day, let it run overnight, and I picked it up the next day. No hassle, no ****, no charge.

When I buy my next TT, guess who will get my business? The dealer could not buy the kind of advertising that he gets from me. Several friends have bought from him with the same type of service.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our coach from a dealer 500 miles away.....saved 9 grand over local one. I was willing to buy from local if he was even 5 grand more, but they wouldn't budge. All I got was a "Thanks for calling". Ironically, that dealer's sister shop ended up doing some warranty work on it as a "new" dealer who just opened up selling our brand wouldn't fix it cuz of this and that. See ya!

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, but I think you got a realistic, honest response.

I bought our first fifth wheel out of state - much better price than local, and the local dealer didn't give us the time of day. Well, we had nothing but problems when it came to warranty work because the local guy didn't want to do it.

I did the opposite when I bought my last new boat. Paid a little more to go with the local dealer, and I get nothing short of OUTSTANDING service - always put at the front of the line.

To me, the bottom line is if you want the dealer to do warranty/service work, the selling dealer is at least as important as the brand of RV you buy. Get a bad dealer, and your experience can be terrible.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is it folks have a bad experience with a dealer and take the time to post, but wont put up the name of said dealer? Everyone knows who it is anyway.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sad part is when you use the local guy and still get the attitude and poor service!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wow! Dealer Comments!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS