Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Bottom damage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Bottom damage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

Sounds like the TT got a good workout! [emoticon] Unfortunately, TT manufacturers typically use the lowest rated and least substantial components possible. 5K miles on a TT is nothing...

I would suggest RV scrim tape there. It's a lot thicker than gorilla tape and should be tougher for a location like that. Wash the darco fabric with soap and water then use alcohol to get it good and clean so the tape adheres well.

Tires look way too close. Original size tires I assume? The usual cause of this is springs that have flattened out and isn't uncommon. Hard to tell in the photos but one set of springs does look flattened. What is the TT GVWR and what are the axle ratings? There should be a white sticker on each axle that will give you the rating. Have you ever taken the TT through a scale to get it's weights?

Do not use a 2" lift. Need to determine why so little clearance. This is a standard frame, axle, spring and tire setup and nothing unusual.

The damage to the darco fabric looks different from front to rear tire. Is the TT level to slightly nose down when hooked up?

While in there inspecting things:

I would inspect the plastic spring bushings because they can wear out in as little as a couple thousand miles. Check spring hanger holes because they can get ovalized. Perhaps check the axle tubes to see if they still have the correct camber/arch. Check for unusual tire wear as it could be an indication of a bent axle or misalignment. A pair of Dexter EZ-flex equalizers would be a good idea (along with their wet bolts).

*IF* it turns out the axle tubes have lost their camber (not unusual either), you might look at using the optional 3" dia. tube instead of standard 2-3/8". Al-ko has good tech. info. here on what's available. Stronger springs might be a good idea but don't know if they're directly interchangeable.

A set of shock absorbers can help prevent this. We installed them on our TT and help a lot.

We put a "test" on it! Given the really poor condition of some interstates we traveled we were very lucky.

Thanks for the good suggestions! Right, it's a standard Coleman TT, Lippert components. See my other post WRT GY tires and weights.

I like the idea of installing shocks and will investigate further.

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2018 Coleman Lantern 262BH
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richclover wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

There is IMHO to little tire clearance. Either it was built with to little clearance, or the tires are larger than the OEM tires, or the springs have lost the arc.

If it was my trailer and fixing it correctly isn't covered under warranty, I'd find a shop that can do an axle flip to get proper clearance.

I don't think an axle flip will will help. As shown, the axles are mounted below the springs.

correct. I suffered from a bit of "brain fade" when I looked at the picture.

The larger tires of 1" larger diameter only cut about 1/2" of clearance. From the looks it is several inches from the needed clearance.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgirardo wrote:

The weight probably doesn't have much to do with it. You stuffed larger tires in a wheel well not designed for tires of that size. You will need to make more room for the tires to keep them from rubbing.

-Michael

Thanks, Michael, but my tire shop, and me, figured a half inch shouldn’t have made any difference. Last spring, installing the Goodyear tires.

Making more room will only happen with suspension modifications. Question is “what”.

First stop will be the tire shop in the morning.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Springs look way too flat. Should have a lot more curve/arch in them that what I see in those.

Charles

tralertrash

kansas city mo

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar issue with an older Salem F/R. I went from stock (3500#) to 4800# springs and it added about 2" more clearance. Simple afternoon job.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per Dexter and Lippert: 3" inch MINIMUM clearance from the top of the tires to the wheelwell.
Also, bump stops are requiered to limit upward axle travel.

There are several ways to get more clearance. You can add a 2" square tube between the frame and the spring hangers... Lots of units are made that way from the factory. You can get longer spring hangers... Some units come from the factory with spring hangers that have several holes to adjust the height.
You can install lift blocks between the axles and springs. I have done this on two TTs.
You can install springs with more leaves.
All of these methods will work. My present TT has a combination of a thicker spring pack, and a small lift block installed, to get the needed height. I only use solid steel lift blocks, and never more than 2" thick. As always, doing it correctly is IMPORTANT... Any of this done wrong ..... Can be an issue.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Per Dexter and Lippert: 3" inch MINIMUM clearance from the top of the tires to the wheelwell.
Also, bump stops are requiered to limit upward axle travel.

There are several ways to get more clearance. You can add a 2" square tube between the frame and the spring hangers... Lots of units are made that way from the factory. You can get longer spring hangers... Some units come from the factory with spring hangers that have several holes to adjust the height.
You can install lift blocks between the axles and springs. I have done this on two TTs.
You can install springs with more leaves.
All of these methods will work. My present TT has a combination of a thicker spring pack, and a small lift block installed, to get the needed height. I only use solid steel lift blocks, and never more than 2" thick. As always, doing it correctly is IMPORTANT... Any of this done wrong ..... Can be an issue.

Thanks for the good info!

Local tire shop does lots of trailer work and is the first stop tomorrow. There is an RV dealer, recommended, in Layton, UT, that does RV repairs and maintenance. They’ll be the next stop. It’ll get fixed before the next boondocks trip [emoticon]

WayneAt63044

St. Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the heavier springs exactly like tralertrash above did and it raised the trailer 2". A lot more arch in the springs now. My axle weights at the scale were less than yours for my 7,800 lbs GCWR trailer.

I had a broken spring on the interstate once and replaced the springs with 1,750 OEM springs and they were too flat. I'm convinced most of those springs are manufactured to barely meet spec, if that.

You might replace the springs as a first step to see how it goes. Your axle weights were awfully close to 7,000 max anyway at 6,780.

I then bought some darco plastic material at the hardware store and sealed them in place to cover the scuffed wheel well areas above the tires and then screwed them also outside of where the tire would rub if it should happen again.

Been good for 2 years now. Mine is a Lippert frame, too.

2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first thought is drive slower.
Some roads are terrible. You have to keep slowing until you are not beating up your rig.
No one rides in a TT so the ride can be really harsh.
Consider adding shock absorbers.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I the only one to ask how far over the axle rating are you running?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Bottom damage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS