Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Front Landing Jacks Speed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Front Landing Jacks Speed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

B.O. Plenty wrote:

The way they are built I cannot see how they can run at different speeds. They have the same gearboxes and run off the same motor. My guess is one is cranked up farther than the other so it looks like one is slower than the other. Disconnect the tube that connects them and make sure each is starting from the same place.
B.O.
I don't believe they are actually running at different speeds. But if one leg skips a tooth on the 90° bevel gear every revolution, then it will fall behind the other leg.

Yes, but would that not be making some unusual noise, never have had that happen ,so don't know .
It sure should. But it's about the only thing that makes any kind of sense.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Jon L

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If its not making noise the problem could be that the gear is slipping on the shaft.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But if the gear is slipping on the shaft, it would have to be catching periodically also. That would generate noise too.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully the OP will return to let us know. There is always a little noise, when running the landing gear, so a missing/broken tooth may go unnoticed. Now jumping teeth, pretty hard to not hear that!

Jerry

Whiskey River

Pittsburgh, Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK thanks everyone, it appears the general consensus is legs & not the motor. I will take off the cap & check next week end.
I know both legs should run at the same speed & they did for years. I also can sit on the ground & press the extend switch & visually watch the left (drivers side extend faster than the other side.
And one side is not cranked up higher than the other side. I have the top marked with a sharpie on both sides.
As I said in the original post the opposite happens when lifting or retracting the legs. The right side gets to the top, ie the sharpie mark and I stop as don't want to over run that side and the left side is still 2"-3" from reaching the sharpie mark. I then disconnect the square rod and roll the left side up to the sharpie mark. So when starting to extend the legs they are both at the same starting point. And I put the legs both down 5 or 6 holes (both the same on the drop down before starting the power.
I know this makes no sense but you can't make this up.
I'm not an RV tech but have always done my own work. Some being installed a wet bolt system, repack wheel brgs every couple years, installed 2nd A/C in bedroom, toilet gaskets & other stuff. This has me baffled…...

honda1

paola kansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roll pin sheared at one of the top bevaled gears .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

honda1 wrote:

roll pin sheared at one of the top bevaled gears .

Wouldn't that just put a stop to it, no movement at all ??

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think this is the perfect excuse for getting a dual motor setup. My single motor setup is marginal. I have to lube it at the beginning of each season. Be careful about which dual motor setup you buy. Carefully measure the distance between your frame brackets. Some may fit your existing frame brackets and some may not. Unfortunately mine don't fit either of the major aftermarket kits. To use one of those kits, I would have to cut off my old brackets and weld on new ones in different positions.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie SWB QuadCab CTD, 48RE (auto), Putco Boss Bars, Pullrite Superglide, LineX, Prodigy, PacBrake

2011 Arctic Fox 27-5L

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Njmurvin wrote:

I think this is the perfect excuse for getting a dual motor setup. My single motor setup is marginal. I have to lube it at the beginning of each season. Be careful about which dual motor setup you buy. Carefully measure the distance between your frame brackets. Some may fit your existing frame brackets and some may not. Unfortunately mine don't fit either of the major aftermarket kits. To use one of those kits, I would have to cut off my old brackets and weld on new ones in different positions.
You most like could have gotten by with welding on new tabs on each leg to properly support the leg and work with the positioning of your brackets. That would have been much easier than taking off the old brackets.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Njmurvin wrote:

You most like could have gotten by with welding on new tabs on each leg to properly support the leg and work with the positioning of your brackets. That would have been much easier than taking off the old brackets.
I got the wrong size leg when I ordered them. Just welded on a new tab and it worked perfectly.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Front Landing Jacks Speed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS