Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Front Landing Jacks Speed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Front Landing Jacks Speed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

honda1 wrote:

roll pin sheared at one of the top bevaled gears .

Wouldn't that just put a stop to it, no movement at all ??

I suppose it's possible the gear has broken free from the shaft (shear pin failed?) but there is a little friction still directly between the gear and the shaft.

So when the good leg lifts the front enough that there is no pressure on the bad leg, it is able to turn the shaft but this doesn't happen until the good leg is extended a few inches more.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Njmurvin wrote:

I think this is the perfect excuse for getting a dual motor setup. My single motor setup is marginal. I have to lube it at the beginning of each season. Be careful about which dual motor setup you buy. Carefully measure the distance between your frame brackets. Some may fit your existing frame brackets and some may not. Unfortunately mine don't fit either of the major aftermarket kits. To use one of those kits, I would have to cut off my old brackets and weld on new ones in different positions.
You most like could have gotten by with welding on new tabs on each leg to properly support the leg and work with the positioning of your brackets. That would have been much easier than taking off the old brackets.
I got the wrong size leg when I ordered them. Just welded on a new tab and it worked perfectly.

B.O.

Actually, I haven't done anything yet. Good to know for when I decide to upgrade. The alternative is to buy the conversion kit that fits my bracket spacing. You basically remove the crossbar and add a second motorized leg and switch to the driven side.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie SWB QuadCab CTD, 48RE (auto), Putco Boss Bars, Pullrite Superglide, LineX, Prodigy, PacBrake

2011 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a leg fail and I could not get one side to raise so got the floor jack out and took to a repair shop, they had to replace the entire leg but the failure really scared me as it could have dropped one side at any time.

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisher Bill wrote:

We had a leg fail and I could not get one side to raise so got the floor jack out and took to a repair shop, they had to replace the entire leg but the failure really scared me as it could have dropped one side at any time.
Why did you feel that the failure would have allowed the leg to drop the trailer?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because when I tried to lift the trailer off the hitch the leg was not moving and was not supporting the trailer so I had to use a floor jack to support the unit until I could get it to the shop

Why did you feel that the failure would have allowed the leg to drop the trailer?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see, but from what I've seen when taking legs apart, the leg would not have failed in such a way that it would have collapsed. It simply wouldn't move, not that it would have allowed the trailer to fall on that side.

The other leg should be able to support the trailer, but that could result in the frame being tweaked from the stress. Best to do as you did and get it fixed immediately.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Front Landing Jacks Speed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS