cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat Towing 2018 Ford Expedition Max

helenozee
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! New member, first post. A couple months ago I purchased a 2018 Ford Expedition Max. The salesman told me it could be towed flat, I looked in the manual, and it had instructions for towing flat, and the Towing Guide said it could be towed flat. But I'm stumped as to how to do it. I've towed a 2013 Flex and a 2017 Explorer (got rear-ended on the freeway and it bent the frame, so I traded for the Exp.) The instructions in the manual say I have to have 4WD low, but I can't figure out how to get there. The instructions keep referring me from one page to the other. I've already installed the base plate and have an appointment next week to have a braking system installed.

Does anyone tow one of these?

Thanks in advance
11 REPLIES 11

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The transfer case option is available on both sizes.

If you can prove the dealer mis-represented the capabilities of the vehicle, you can probably pressure them into a no-cost trade. They could also swap out the transfer cases and selector switch, if they have a tech familiar with programming, since 2-speed T-case would need to be enabled in ForScan.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Y-Guy
helenozee, ugh! Sorry it sounds like a weak dealership and your had a sales person that didn't know his stuff.

Seems like the more corporate dealerships buy out the single owners the service and quality goes down. I've not heard good things about our local dealership after it was sold to a corporate group, used to be you knew the owner and he was your neighbor and motivated to do the right thing.

Best of luck!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

helenozee
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy, I went to the dealership twice to find out how to do it. First the salesman told me to go to service. Then service told me to go to a towing equipment installer.

helenozee
Explorer
Explorer
First, thank you, Groover for the picture posting link. After talking to E-Trailer and looking at images on Google, I have determined that because my Expedition is a Max, one foot longer than the standard Expedition, the 4x4 is different and I only have 2H and 4A, not 2H, 4A, 4H and 4L. So I cannot tow it flat. I'm bummed. I bought this not only for road trips without the RV, but for towing with the RV. I am going to get with the dealer, as the salesman assured me I could tow it. I'm really not sure I want to drop down to the regular Exp, as I'm really enjoying the space for the dogs and the gear for dog agility trials. Maybe I'll just keep it and get a small, older car to tow. First I'm going to see what the dealership will do for me, if anything, and find out from an attorney friend what they're obligated to do. Thanks for the posts.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
To flat tow the Expedition, you have to have the two speed transfer case with the duty tow package.

Go to page 13.
Ford flat tow
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Y-Guy
I'd run by the dealership ask the sales guy that told you this and have him get a knowledgeable shop guy to show you exactly what needs to be done.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like they are differentiating by the different transfer cases. And yours does not have 4lo so can it be towed 4 down is the question.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
helenozee wrote:
Yes, it is. I tried to post a picture of the shift (it's on the console) It has 2H and 4A.

Posting a picture was recently updated to make it much easier but the instructions are hard to find so here they are for you:

Posting pictures

helenozee
Explorer
Explorer
And by Expo you mean Expedition, right? The Explorer was real easy to tow, but it was not 4x4.

helenozee
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is. I tried to post a picture of the shift (it's on the console) It has 2H and 4A.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I "assume" your expo is 4wd? and don't take a salesman's word for anything.

bumpy