Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Paying for public campgrounds
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Paying for public campgrounds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering about paying for public campgrounds. I am thinking mostly about places like Forest Service and BLM campgrounds that may just have a pay box and not an office. Do you bring cash, pay with checks or credit card? I can see disadvantages to each of them.

Our Road Less Traveled

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paying the iron ranger is the only thing I still use checks for. Not for any purpose, other than the amounts seldom total up to a convenient cash amount.

Some may think, ah by paying check, if the ranger/manager claims to have not received payment I can void that check and write another one. Well, at least my bank charges quite a sum to void a check, and it's a process. Lost money either way.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always have written a check. There are usually instructions on to whom it should be payable.
This has two advantages.
I does not deplete our supply of cash
And
If the box (or iron ranger) gets broken into (as happened once), the check is of no value to these cretins.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pay by check as we don't usually carry cash.

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always pay by check in an unattended iron ranger. Case in point, two years ago we camped at Wilderness Gateway along the Lochsa River in north central Idaho. A friend was a CG host at a nearby CG and let me know, after telling her that our check, written 6 months back, had not cleared. She said theives came through and busted into the iron ranger, ripping open all the envelopes and taking only the cash, leaving checks all torn up. Sadly that was a free night for us and at such a nice campground. I would gladly pay for that night if we ever went up that way and met with the ranger. FS has a small budget to keep their CGs nice.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check...because I put a $20 bill in one once and never did give me any change back[emoticon]

Seriously check... cuz we've seen kids trying to fish money out with coat hangers. And easier to reconstruct your travels at a later date.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cash

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

Check...because I put a $20 bill in one once and never did give me any change back[emoticon]

I booked a week long site for myself and some family, with an extra vehicle and the total was $86, so I put a $100 in the ranger having forgotten the checkbook at home.

Next day the host came by, gave me $14 in change. I was very surprised.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

We always have written a check. There are usually instructions on to whom it should be payable.
This has two advantages.
I does not deplete our supply of cash
And
If the box (or iron ranger) gets broken into (as happened once), the check is of no value to these cretins.

Matt
Friends had a thief steal a payment out of their mailbox. The person washed the check and printed a bunch more and cashed them all over town. It took them two years to straighten out the mess. The gal that stole the check was doing this all over town and was making close to 30g a month. The judge gave her a slap on the wrist and probation. Sure taught her a lesson didn't they.

If you write a check they make a ink pen that cannot be washed and I would write on the back for deposit only.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carry cash and do not expect change.
A pay box was the norm for about 75 years.
A lot of resident managers are a pain in the butt. Those sites always cost more.
Forest Service and NPS campgrounds are out of date and do not accomodate RVers well at all.

* This post was edited 06/23/19 09:17pm by ppine *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Paying for public campgrounds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS