Explorer
Explorer
Finally happened Walmart has had it
Art
13 REPLIES 13

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You will always get snarky replies from people who never had a business on the subject.
I like to stop at RV parks for option of long showers, but $40+ pricing, what in lot of areas is more than local hotel room is not making it affordable.
Then I am good with my tanks for 2 days and short showers, so overnight stops at rest areas, Walmart and such is very good option.
On other hand I see that in last decade lot of RV parks become "residential parks". About 90% of RV parks in Las Vegas don't take 1-night travelers.
Isn't that cheating when you open RV park only to take monthly customers?
I will not even try to establish when pricing become price gouging.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The snarky reporter referring to the fantastic view of Canadian Tyre in Walmart parking lot was looking the wrong way.
Nothing wrong with the view we had looking across the road
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I have never stayed at a WalMart parking lot. We lived in Myrtle Beach, SC for over a decade and saw far too many take advantage of the concept of 'overnight' stay. Campgrounds are disappearing all over the country, due to high overhead, taxation, and the like. If we want them to be available when we would want them, we must use them! Understand the financial rewards of using a business parking lot to stop to sleep, but too many have used this as an 'option' in place of paying to camp while on vacation. In MB, some would stay at WalMart the whole week, or even two, of their visit - not what that lot is there for!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem in Whitehorse was NOT the overnighters, it was the people LIVING there for the summer.

A lot of seasonal workers โ€˜campโ€™ in the bigger towns for the summer because of the very high rent, if you can even find a place, then go home for the off-season.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the campground owner is very happy about the decesion. Kind of reminds me of a sign I seen in a bar ( I have a agreement with the bank, they don't sell beer and I don't give credit).

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
There seems to be an echo in here. :B

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
the only time I stop at walmrt is when I leave my place mid afternoon going to my parents, there is one that I would pull in around midnight, and be gone befor 7 am.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Like many we use Walmart for an overnight from time to time. We always check with a duty manager & always walk out with way more goods than a CG would have cost us. Been to the Whitehorse Walmart on each of our 4 trips north. Never overnighted there. What a circus that carpark is. No room for shoppers to park. Don't blame Walmart at all for banning overnighters. They did it to themselves. There is the epic story of the seasonal camper there who got himself some rocks from the nearby Yukon river & built himself a fire ring in the carpark.

The Whitehorse Walmart no longer allows overnight parking.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/whitehorse-walmart-enforcing-ban-on-parking-lot-campers
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like many we use Walmart for an overnight from time to time. We always check with a duty manager & always walk out with way more goods than a CG would have cost us. Been to the Whitehorse Walmart on each of our 4 trips north. Never overnighted there. What a circus that carpark is. No room for shoppers to park. Don't blame Walmart at all for banning overnighters. They did it to themselves. There is the epic story of the seasonal camper there who got himself some rocks from the nearby Yukon river & built himself a fire ring in the carpark.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Community Alumni
Not applicable
The RVers that stay longer than one night have ruined it for the RVers that are respectful.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve done WM and some others no problems its a few who ruin it for others if a rig has been on there lot more than 12hrs they should be towed.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love the argument that "it's convenient to shop there" as a reason to overnight there. Well, yeah, that's why it's called a STORE.

And I suspect that those shopping at Walmart will continue to do so even if they stay at an RV Park for the night.

I'm planning a road trip for next summer and it was pretty simple to find a couple dry campgrounds where I could sleep for the night at a reasonable cost. No need to have to choose the $40+ RV Park.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've never been there but, when it said some 'settle in for lengthy stays' and one said they have 'camped at other Walmarts, it explains the problem.
As usual, a few ruin it for others. I see nothing wrong with a quick overnight stop at a big box store.
But, it's not camping and definitely do not stay more than one night.