Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The best camping spots are free.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> The best camping spots are free.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We too. Some of it is $. In the US, even a state park can put us into the $70 range, what with exchange. I can do one of those..can't do 100. But, push come to shove..I dislike being around most people. And I enjoy being off the beaten track much more than a paved or even graveled camp spot.

[image]

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trekkar wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

Much harder to come by on the East Coast. From the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Atlantic ocean. Places you can just stop and camp are few, and far between. Not much land that is not in use around here.

I find that most of the dispersed camping that shows up on the MVUF maps from the USDA are pretty accurate, and lightly used. Have you tried FS camping in the National Forests? (Pisgah, Cherokee, Uwharrie, etc. in NC)

There are some Forest Service Campgrounds in those areas. But you aren't really going to just pull off the side of the road, and set up. mostly because the side of the road is most often a cliff on one side, and a mountain on the other.

Admittedly. I have not been on every side, or back road in the Blue Ridge. But have been on quite a few, and the last place I saw where you could pull over and camp was about 30 years ago near Brown Mountain. But that has washed away now. You are not allowed to park over night in the National parks. Even on the Blue Ridge Parkway overnight parking at the over looks, picnic areas, or on the side of the road are not permitted. there are however many Forest Service CGs on the BRP. We used them for years, and still do. Primitive camping only. Seems the Rangers are very particular about their parks.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just tried something new. A bunch of old friends put together a trip over in the Foothill Wine Country on Route 49 in California. We took our latest TT and paid the $75 a night fee to be with friends. The trip was fun.

The RV park was a disaster. It was like camping in a parking lot. I could not wait to leave. Too many people. No privacy. Most of our friends like it there. They go 2-3 x a year. It must be all the wineries.

I am starting to think that RVers can be divided now into 2 broad groups. Those that still like camping but want more comfort. And those that like hotels, restaurants and a lot of amenities and an Rv is just a place to sleep.

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

I just tried something new. A bunch of old friends put together a trip over in the Foothill Wine Country on Route 49 in California. We took our latest TT and paid the $75 a night fee to be with friends. The trip was fun.

The RV park was a disaster. It was like camping in a parking lot. I could not wait to leave. Too many people. No privacy. Most of our friends like it there. They go 2-3 x a year. It must be all the wineries.

I am starting to think that RVers can be divided now into 2 broad groups. Those that still like camping but want more comfort. And those that like hotels, restaurants and a lot of amenities and an Rv is just a place to sleep.

X2

2001 RoadTrek 190

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is not beautiful, I don't care how convenient it is, how many amenities there are, or what it costs.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere, than in the fanciest hotel on Earth." Steve McQueen

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not just a lack of sites but also population. There are a few official dispersed sites in Eastern National Forests and State Forests, but not very many. During the summer months (when one would normally want to use them) they're often occupied. The only place where I've had consistent luck getting one that wasn't already taken is in WV.

2016 AmeriLite SuperLite 198BH
2008 Toyota Sienna
Hensley Cub

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living in the North East I find the NFS CG's a good compromise. Most are secluded with dry camping only, some are still first come first severed, so if you get there before the w/e you have a spot. Most are $20 or less and $10-$12 with the senior pass. SP's are OK during the week but full on the w/e. I do miss the camping out west and up in Alaska.

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Thanks steelhunter.
I left the East Coast almost 50 years because it was hard to find a place to camp.
Now I have a million acre backyard of public land and can camp on all of it.

We live in Pa and have had no problem finding great camping spots. We love state and federal parks. I guess if you go in the peak summer season it might be hard, but we usually go spring and fall.Go in on a Sunday and leave on Thursday before all the weekenders show up.There are many Forest Service or Corps of Engineer Campgrounds in Virginia and West Virginia that are great.And with the Senior Pass, they are very reasonable.

my440

Monashees British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not like it was at one time. Forest access roads are gated or large boulders or logs blocking the way. Once upon a time the wild life was the biggest danger. A bear or cougar may approach, a skunk may appear. Now chances of a cracked out lunatic approaching is the big concern. The vehicle pulling beside you at night now may not just be travelers looking to go pee or read a map...

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Much harder to come by on the East Coast. From the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Atlantic ocean. Places you can just stop and camp are few, and far between. Not much land that is not in use around here.

for sure

we are lucky in nc, sc and virginia to have a good amount of beautiful state parks charging 25 to 50 bucks a night for water and electric. majority have nice large sites not jammed up on top of each other. scenery is always great. mountains to the coast.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> The best camping spots are free.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS