Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to Open Light Fixture?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> How to Open Light Fixture?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This light fixture is in the overhead console between the front seats of our Jayco B. I want to convert it to LEDs and was afraid to force anything in getting it to open without knowing how it is suppose open. The square parts pivot in both directions for aiming the lights. I have looked from the back and their is no obvious openings on the back.

Any ideas?

[image]

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your new fixture will more than cover the old one’s footprint, just pry it off.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The faceplate may come off revealing screws holding it together.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't have this one but my guess is that it just snaps into place. stick a thin screwdriver between the base and the wood and give it a little twist. Maybe start at the narrow end(s).

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried a little more aggressively to pry at the wood interface and managed to get a big enough gap to peak in and could see I was flexing the whole fixture. Decided to poke around on the pivote parts and the outer pivots have enough flex to pop it out of the holes and the whole square fixture came down and the socket turns and come out the side.

Just put in an order for the replacement LEDs. They currently come on when the door opens and can be shut off if you want to leave the door open. I will run a second power lead from an extra switch already in the console so I can override the power when the doors are closed.

Thanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> How to Open Light Fixture?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS