cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What type of insulation?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm putting a new roof on a RV project (wood and rubber). I need to put in insulation as well. It had 2 inch unfaced white spun insulation. The only thing the lumber yard has is 3.5 inch faced insulation. I think I have enough room for it but wonder if the faced insulation will be a issue.

What would you recomend?
16 REPLIES 16

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If the roof is open and the area tapers from 1 inch on the edges to 6 inch in the middle; I would buy 6 inch thick insulation and just pull it apart by hand as necessary to taper it down to 1 inch. You could also just smash the 6 inch stuff down at the edges, but I think it insulates better if it's not compressed. As far as the facing, as mentioned above just peel the facing off. Although it's much cheaper to buy it unfaced.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with anything solid or spray foam is if you ever has to run a new wire or fix a water leak.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
colliehauler wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
2" foam would give you a much better R value than the stuff that was in there.

Steve
The problem is the roof is 6 inches in the middle to zero inches at the sides. I like the idea of foam especially since moisture should not effect it. Will probably use foam and maybe some regular insulation on the side of the roof.

that's not a real problem, could do spray foam as some one mentioned, the bonus is you could phone a company and travel to where they are doing a job and get them to spray it, would be much much cheaper than if you got them to come to the trailer and set up just for your job.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Purchased Dow blue foam 1.5 inches thick, will fit between the 2x2 or I should say 1.5x1.5 rafters.
Some photos of the install might be nice. ๐Ÿ™‚

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased Dow blue foam 1.5 inches thick, will fit between the 2x2 or I should say 1.5x1.5 rafters.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
It takes only seconds to peel the paper off of the insulation to make it unfaced. If that's what you want to use it is not an issue.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Think about how a vapor barrier is installed in a house.
That was the point of me asking. They use unfaced and I wondered about using faced and humidity build up in a closed roof, no attic to vent.
This is the problem. RVs have the vapor barrier/retarder on the wrong side of a wall or ceiling compared to buildings. If using batt insulation in a ceiling in a building, you require a gap or space for air movement and it needs to be vented to remove moisture, whether it's a vaulted ceiling or has an attic.

When batt insulation absorbs moisture, the R-value drops. Not good. And in cold weather you can have a high humidity level if you don't take measures to remove moisture-laden air.

The very best insulation job you could do is spray foam. It doesn't require an air gap to the underside of a roof deck. It encapsulates everything and leaves no un-insulated cavities. Costly for a small area like in an RV unless you could perhaps tow it to a job site somewhere where they're doing a spray foam job. If you lucked out and found someone, I'd do the underside of the floor too.

If it were me, I'd look at using closed cell rigid foam. Glue it to the underside of the roof deck and build it up in layers using PL400. Fill any voids with spray foam in a can. You'll end up with a very well insulated ceiling that way. I bought a ton of rigid foam for our garage floor at a building recycling place for a fraction of the new cost. Just don't use open cell rigid foam.

For spray foam or rigid foam, you'd of course need the ceiling down.

RV manufacturers do a lousy job of insulation ceilings. Ours has voids all over, isn't very thick and is compressed all over. The open cell foam they use in walls is also a poor choice as moisture migrates right through it to the exterior fiberglass where it will condense.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe get a pro to install expanding spray foam. Advantage of completely waterproof if you do it right.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to use a Wide Application Tip.

You can use Great Stuff, or other, canned closed cell foam to cover the ceiling.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would use closed cell foam..
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:

Steve
The problem is the roof is 6 inches in the middle to zero inches at the sides. I like the idea of foam especially since moisture should not effect it. Will probably use foam and maybe some regular insulation on the side of the roof.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
If the roof was totaly sealed from inside,wouldnt that stop any humidity aka air
Moisture geting in?
I have plywood roof and glued on rigid foam everywhere from inside so no moisture can ever get onto the plywood.
This rigid foam is completely waterproof as its used for insulating basement walls on the outside,but also floats for house boats.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Think about how a vapor barrier is installed in a house.
That was the point of me asking. They use unfaced and I wondered about using faced and humidity build up in a closed roof, no attic to vent.