cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toy hauler fails

Tacosplease
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, everyone. Very new here. Looking at getting into the RV lifestyle. My wife and I have different wants. She wants a class C. I want a 5th wheel TH so we can take our MC with us and have a vehicle to drive around when we unhook. One of our friends bikes came loose and fell over while going down the road and did a "little" damage. I said the bike wasn't tied down good enough and no, no chock was used for the front tire to stabilize the bike. How many of y'all have had MC's fall over or the chock fail, like she says will happen.
Thank you. I look forward to a long life here.
14 REPLIES 14

Tacosplease
Explorer
Explorer
I have a big geezer glide with the tube frame. Thanks for the heads up

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tacosplease wrote:
Thank you for all the responses. Good stuff I can take to my defense of the Toy Hauler. I really like the biker bar. So in the end what will happen is that we'll discuss it, weight the pros and cons of each, compromise and do what she wants. That tandem tow dolly will be a pricy yet good addition. Maybe, just maybe, the stars will align, a unicorn will poop a rainbow and we'll end up with a TH 5th wheel. Maybe.
Don't forget that biker bar will only work with bikes that have a tube frame at the bottom, so you'd be mostly limited to cruiser-type bikes. Pretty useless for sport bikes.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
With a TH and a tow vehicle if the vehicle breaks down you can still camp...and ride the bike. If the class C breaks down,no camping or vehicle. Simple solution.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Tacosplease
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the responses. Good stuff I can take to my defense of the Toy Hauler. I really like the biker bar. So in the end what will happen is that we'll discuss it, weight the pros and cons of each, compromise and do what she wants. That tandem tow dolly will be a pricy yet good addition. Maybe, just maybe, the stars will align, a unicorn will poop a rainbow and we'll end up with a TH 5th wheel. Maybe.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Been hauling small dirt bikes for years.

Never used any kind of chock but use 4 tie downs at each corner and cinch down
pretty tightly. I also have a heavier bike and same procedure. I also haul the
bikes in the back of my van using the same procedure.

Never had an issue but my bikes are relatively light compared to others.

BTW - I keep the kickstand DOWN (on a piece of wood);
Gerry

Bedlam
A cheap Harbor Freight wheel chock on a 2โ€™x3โ€™ 3/4โ€ plywood base holds my 700 LB Concours, but I tie down the triple tree and rear swing arm too.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
This is what I use, a little pricey but worth it for the ease of use.
Biker Bar

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Used to haul 5 bikes and a quad, now 3 bikes and a rhino.....never had any of them fall in the last 15 years,,,never used a chock. Have loaded the bikes sideways with just 2 strap on the front just like in my truck or front to back with a 3rd tie down to the foot peg pulling the bike back, giving the front ones tension.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would never haul a bike in the back of the TH without a wheel chock. Never had a issue myself.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I only hauled my wing once in my toy hauler with a wheel chock and tie downs, worked fine. I've had my dirtbike fall over once or twice when I didn't tie it down right (lazy). One time leaked a fair amount of gas on the floor, that was fun............NOT!

With proper tie down it should be fine.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had a tie down fail which let my Goldwing lean over with no damage. This was after 3 hours on a very rough highway, and after 5 years and hauling it 42,000 miles, so I didnโ€™t feel too bad. If you use a good chock and tie down carefully, youโ€™ll have no problem!
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Y-Guy
You know what they say, if Momma isn't happy...

So here is a possible option. Tandem Tow Dolly

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Condor Chock for my Harley and never had a failure. My buddy had his Harley tip over with the Condor but he didn't have his Condor anchored to the floor like I do.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We haul two bikes in our toyhauler and have never had one come loose. We use Condor chocks and they hold the bike very securely. The front straps are not very tight at all, but the rear ones are snugged down tighter, not suspension flattening tight, but enough that they don't move around.

No issues.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"