Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Looking for advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Looking for advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
unpaulie

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2019 Ram 2500 CTD and looking at a Cirrus 720 and 820. I will pretty close to max payload and I want to tow my 20 foot bass boat. I have purchased air bags as well. Has anyone else setup a truck camper and bass boat? How was the experience. Bigger truck is not an option.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as your not over your rear axle rating and tire weight ratings you should be fine.
I used to carry an 11' truck camper on an '05 Chevy dually while pulling a 20' Larson bowrider. The boat and trailer weighed about 4,500 pounds. My truck axles were carrying about 13,000 pounds loaded up with the family, camper, boat, and all our gear. The truck's GVWR was only 11,400 but I was not over on axle or tire weights. I ran many thousands of trouble free miles with that rig.

steelhunter

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone knows manufacturer weight limit ratings are pure fiction and serve only to satisfy legal requirements.
It's ok to exceed these limits if it's based on the advice of something you read on the internet.

unpaulie

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow...that went south quickly....Shame we just cant discuss the topic.

larkyblast

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go with the 720. Cassette toilet is far superior, seating is much more comfortable than 820.
Is there a reason you are considering Cirrus? I am going through this now. 720 is my first choice but we can't find one in our budget. We also want it for winter camping. If it weren't for that I would buy a northstar, better layouts much lighter camper and cassette toilet but I really want the Alde heat to save battery.
I have a Ram 3500 and think if I buy the 820 I will have to give up towing anything except my small utility trailer. Real world weights are very heavy on the 820, go on the Cirrus truck camper facebook group and see.

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Everyone knows manufacturer weight limit ratings are pure fiction and serve only to satisfy legal requirements."

What "everyone knows" won't get you spit when trying to get injury damages. In fact it will get you summary dismissal. Your "advice" is dangerous, steelhunter.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steelhunter wrote:

Everyone knows manufacturer weight limit ratings are pure fiction and serve only to satisfy legal requirements.
It's ok to exceed these limits if it's based on the advice of something you read on the internet.

Everyone knows that in the case of 3/4 ton trucks, the manufacturers weight limit ratings are pure fiction. They are lowered on paper to keep them within a lower class rating for licensing purposes. Exceeding the reduced payload ratings won't hurt anything but the egos of the weight police. Stay within the axle and tire ratings and everything will be fine.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ And while I believe that whole heartedly (I'm hauling an Arctic fox on an older Ram 2500), the newer coil spring 2500s are an inherently poor design for high center of gravity loads. Haven't used one, but reports are they are less resistant to body roll than leafs and it makes sense.
However, if I had that truck, airbags and the biggest sway bar I could find and I'd try it.
If someone makes stiffer coils IMO that would be preferable, but not sire I've seen any.
But with a Cirrus 720, it might handle it pretty darn good, especially if the truck is a long bed.
I'd go for it and not worry.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Camperfam4

NOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see the any weight you can fit in your bed crowd and don’t worry about it are alive and well. Things to consider if you take that advice. If you’re involved in a traffic collision and either the police or the insurance investigator decide to weigh your rig or what’s left of it and you’re over weight you will most likely be assessed some level of fault. You may even be criminally charged if death or injury occurs as you knew or should have known that you were overloaded. In fact it may cause a violation to be escalated from an infraction to a straight felony. It goes on from there and none of it good.

The claim that the truck is engineered to carry way more than the GVWR rating on the VIN plate is simply not true. You have at most 10-15% tolerance. Let’s face it auto makers don’t engineer in more tolerance than absolutely necessary as it costs money.

All that said buy the lightest camper with the most features and stay as close to your GVWR & GCWR as possible. Remember the weight you’re carrying also wears out your truck that much quicker. Also, no matter the load you’re better off with airbags and big stabilizer bars.

I know the carry as much as you want crowd is going to hate on this posting, but I have see the results of overloading and it’s ugly.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

unpaulie wrote:

wow...that went south quickly....Shame we just cant discuss the topic.

And then it took a turn to the Twilight Zone.

Lawsuits and felonies, faults, injuries, investigators.

Skeery Stuff.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Looking for advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS