cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bed alterations

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Im still in the market for my first RV. My question is about the models that have the odd shaped bed in the back corner. Is there any way to modify that maybe with a smaller mattress size so it could be accessed from at least one side? Climbing in and out from the bottom is not something I want to do if Im living full time in it.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Davestomet
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, thanks! Will keep that in mind as well.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Our first travel trailer, a 20 footer, purchased new back in '94, had a cornered bed with a small slice off one corner. Sounds a bit weird, but we were younger then (40s), it was our first camper after tent camping for 20+ years so we were just happy to get off the ground. Our bedding didn't fit well with one corner lopped off. We'd just crawl over one another to get in and out.

Our next camper was a 5th wheel with a queen walk around bed. It made a big difference and was more like home.

If this is your first RV and you're going to spend a lot of time in it then I'd make sure my bed was very comfortable and easy to access. Other posters have pretty much described the issues with layout and how the mattress might rest upon a storage area. But if you're handy with woodworking you might be able to make the necessary adjustments. If it's just you in the bed then all the easier, but 2 adults in a bed limit your options.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see why not, depending on the model. A lot of the bottom bunks like that have the one side that lifts up for things like bike storage anyway so it shouldn't be too bad to do. The top bunk could be a hindrance though.
Mike & Company
2021 GMC Sierra SLE (6.6L V-8, 3.73 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC

bid_time
Explorer
Explorer
Not likely, the base is usually built in and integral with the side tables and closets. Also the mattress lies on top of a storage area underneath which is integral with the passthrough.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Sure. Might not be easy but anything can be done for a price