cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Tail gater walk away ?

FEDowner
Explorer
Explorer
How does everyone keep their portable dishes from walking away during the night?
'06 Damon Challenger, Nostalgia Dragster & 28ft trailer,
Calpurnia (born 12-20-06)daughter of Traiano & Jasmine,
At the Rainbow Bridge Sonia 8-30-06 our 1st Neopolitan Mastiff
14 REPLIES 14

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
As much as the antennas cost, I am not about to offer a crook a chance to grab it and go. I have it locked with a cable to the nearest unmovable object. The cost of the cable and lock are not much compared to a new antenna.

Of course, if the crook wants it bad it bad enough, he will cut the chain or cable. But it will keep the casual crook honest.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
two year now and no problem but I don't camp in questionable areas. I worked 25 years LE in a tourist area and investigated one theft in the 25 years. Most campers leave things in their sites as the investigate the area. Introduce your self to your neighbors, they will watch for you.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Texas and spend most summers in Colorado. Iโ€™ve never had a problem and just donโ€™t worry about in. My wife was raised in Memphis Tenn. if I took Rv there I would chain it down. Just depends where your at.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
want-a-be wrote:
Chain it to some thing, it will keep a good man honest!

False...It will keep a lazy thief away. A good man does not need a deterrent to remain honest.

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
Alarm system for dish. We use them. Basically a continuity tester for the satellite cable from the receiver to the dish. If disconnected from the dish the alarm sounds. It is quite noticeable.

https://www.amazon.com/KING-AL1000-Portable-Satellite-Antenna/dp/B00HSO6EZQ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=satellite+dish+alarm&qid=1561486975&s=gateway&sr=8-3

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry barnhart wrote:
Our tailgater was installed on our roof. Now it is sitting on the garage floor.It worked and then it was a pain in the butt. Chevman

Help me here. Why is it now a "pain in the butt"? Does it no longer work? Did it not work on the roof and you had to move it to the floor? Is the "pain" caused by trying to secure it? The OP wanted to know how to secure one of these things.

My cousin moves his up to the roof of his trailer each time he sets up. It is not an easy thing to walk away with now but it is a "pain" to set up each time. He also uses this same antenna on his camper so it has to remain mobile.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Have never had a problem with our winegard domes and never chained them down either. 1st one a Carryout bought in 2008, new one g3 bought December 2017, all on tripod mounts.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
ford truck guy wrote:
I have a nylon coated steel cable with loops on it that is about 3/8" - 1/2" in diameter and about 25' long.... It gets locked to my frame, ........:.

Same here. Sometimes I use it. Sometimes not.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
we put ours on the roof.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure it happens, but I've not yet seen a report from anyone that had one stolen.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Our tailgater was installed on our roof. Now it is sitting on the garage floor.It worked and then it was a pain in the butt. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

I have a nylon coated steel cable with loops on it that is about 3/8" - 1/2" in diameter and about 25' long.... It gets locked to my frame, BUT as they say, Locks keep honest people honest....

If someone wants it more than me, they will find a way to take it.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a heavy duty chain with BT that notifies my iPhone if the cable is cut. It also has a loud alarm. $40 on Amazon.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
Chain it to some thing, it will keep a good man honest!