cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NADA Pricing versus Actual

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed that the pricing, that most private owners are asking for their used motor homes,is way above the NADA pricing. Sometimes double or triple the price. However, most of the dealers price their used units at least somewhere in the ballpark with NADA. Am I missing something here? If NADA is the guideline for motor home values why the disparity? If NADA is not the guideline then what organization is? Or is it that owners don't know the actual value of the motor homes that they are selling or possibly don't care as they want their price regardless?
11 REPLIES 11

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Most of those "inflated" prices are a direct reflection of what the seller owes. A 15 year loan on a $30K trailer at 6% interest sounded good when you were being dazzled by the RV lifestyle at the dealership. 3 or 4 years later when you still owe most of the original principal...it don't sound so good anymore.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Double or triple NADA? Lol.
Maybe didn't math right. 20-30% above, I can see from an optimistic seller.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
There are loan companies that will lend above the NADA price, they are a shade above a loan shark, banks will not lend on a 10 year old unit if they can, and the dealer will steer the customer to the shark.

navegator

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Priced with what they still owe which is close to the full new purchase price IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
There are hundreds (if not more) of market conditions that effect the variable price of a given vehicle in a given location on a given day. NADA is just a starting point, mostly for banks and dealers to determine used vehicle values for the purpose of lending. Any vehicle sells for what the seller can get for it moderated by what the buyer is willing to pay. No more, no less. Think about it. If you were selling a motorhome and somebody wanted to buy it for $10,000 cash, then, before you shook hands (transferred funds and closed the deal) someone else offered you $11,000, what would you do?

IMO, as a buyer, you can use NADA as a starting point in your specific negotiation, but, the rest is up to you. Two identical vehicles could sell for drastically different prices just depending on where they are located on the planet. Get the picture?

Chum lee

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
I found that the NADA price is what the dealers will give you for the unit, and they in turn clean spruce it up and then sell for double or triple what the NADA price is, so do not go by that look instead at what the dealer is asking for a unit similar to the one you are selling or buying.

navegator

How do dealers get banks to lend buyers double or triple what NADA lists a unit at?

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I can say is, regardless of what NADA says its worth - What is it worth to you?
Obviously, if you can buy the same thing (or something very similar) for thousands cheaper, why would you pay more? If it's a one of a kind, then it's up to you to determine what your willing to pay for it.
That's the hard part about buying any RV (new or used). You have to do your homework and comparison shop to find out: "What is it worth to me"? If it ain't worth it, you move on. When my gut tells me no, I listen; I look at as my higher power sending me a message.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I found that the NADA price is what the dealers will give you for the unit, and they in turn clean spruce it up and then sell for double or triple what the NADA price is, so do not go by that look instead at what the dealer is asking for a unit similar to the one you are selling or buying.

navegator

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't say that NADA is THE guideline. You have to remember that a dealer has already picked up the used coach at below NADA when someone traded it in plus he made money on the sale of the new unit. Now all he has to do is sell the used unit at NADA to make more money and have you think you got a good deal.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep you said it they put the price on they want. some will come down some won,t . some think its worth more than they paid. use your own judgement when buying. and have a rv tech do an inspection first.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Think most remember what they paid. Also what they still owe.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)