cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easter Sierras Advice Needed--RV Parks and Sites to See

MissouriBird
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to be headed south from the Lake Tahoe area by early Oct and need advice regarding good RV sites for a 30' TT with at least elec. but would prefer full hookups to use as a base for exploring the Eastern Sierras and the Eastern portion of Yosemite.

Would like to find a place to stay for several days, explore Bodie, Mono Lake, maybe the June Lake area and make at least one day trip into Yosemite. After a few days we will continue south to Lone Pine and Alabama Hills area for a few days before heading into Death Valley on Oct. 15th.

All suggestions regarding camping spots, as well as things to see and do, would be welcomed as this is our first time in this area.

Will be driving a 4x4 Dodge Ram Diesel. Like to explore the back roads when we are not hooked to the TT.
Nomads at heart
9 REPLIES 9

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to chime in about Boulder Creek, we stay there often, mostly because it is just a few hours from home. So we will do a full day of activities somewhere around Bishop and then stay in Lone Pine, before heading home the next day.

Boulder Creek is clean and well-managed. Great views of Mt. Whitney from the RV park. The pool and spa are nice -- nothing fancy, but decent.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
Lee Vining/Mono Lake - not sure where but I think there are RV parks there.

Mammoth Lakes - Mammoth Mountain RV Park. I have not stayed there, but after climbing the Sherwin grade I get water there, and then head to Glass Creek to dry camp. Leaving, I dump at the RV park in Mammoth. Lots of forest service roads to explore in the Mammoth/June Lakes area.

Lone Pine - Boulder Creek at the south end of town. Again, I have not stayed there. We have camped in the Alabama Hills, but tourists are always driving by. We have dry camped quite a few times at Tuttle Creek BLM campground.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tioga Pass Road is definitely built to NPS standards. It is narrow and windy on purpose. I don't like that road much with an empty truck, much less towing a trailer.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed, we tow up and down Tioga Pass fairly often. No big deal, as long as you use the transmission to slow you down! ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I like Mono Vista in Lee Vinning. Mono Lake is unusual and you can enter Yosemite via Tioga Pass(Rt 120) a very nice ride in your truck. It would be a chore towwing.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are relatively few RV parks on the East Side. Lee Vining, June Lake, Bishop and only a couple of others, Mammoth might work. Most people that like RV parks like other amenities to go along with them. If that is the case Mammoth and June Lake would be your best bets.

Most the area is set up for dry camping. There are some really good USFS campsites around and plenty of logging roads around Mammoth.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
My vote would be Mono Vista in Lee Vining. I think they stay open through October. Do you hike? If so, let us know and I will make some recommendations. If you like four wheeling, you are in heaven -- just download the MVUMs with Avenza on your phone, and you are good to go.

This post should give you some idea what the area looks like in late Sept/early Oct.
About our trailer

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
A Good place to start is with RV Park Reviews. That area is beautiful area to explore. We like Lee Vining, Ca https://monovistarvpark.net/

Also, https://mcgeecreekrv-campground.com/

Bodie Ghost Town, Virginia Lakes, Touloumne Meadows, Devil's Postpile, visit Convict Lake.

In Lee Vining we always stop at for a meal: http://www.whoanelliedeli.com/

Bishop, Ca has Eric Schat's Bakery, parking across the street in the city park. Without a tow vehicle you can drive from Lone Pine, Ca to see the Bristle Cone Pine Forest. there is also a Western Movie Museum in Lone Pine as well as a drive up to Whitney Portal.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Using private RV parks greatly reduces the number of beautiful campsites available...Deadman, Oh! Ridge, Glass Creek, French Camp, Alabama Hills etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad