cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh water tank oveflow lines will not stop leaking

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
First time i used this new to me TH. 2009 Tahoe (MVP) 284 SA. Filled 100 gal freshwater tanks ( 2 serparate 50 gal tanks that fill through one fill location. I filled tanks until water came out overfllow lines. Each tank has one line. These overflow lines are flat flimsy rubber lines, not round plastic / rubber lines. They appear to be mounted at top of tank and simply drape over and hang down to bottom of tank.

Since I left house and while camping, one of these overflow hoses continues to drip water. It will not stop. I thought after a few gallons were used it woiuld stop leaking water.....it has not. After 24 hours, my water tanks and at 1/3 full with not too much use. I’m losing water as I camp!!!

Why is this happening?
Any clues, insight, advice on what to check and how to check?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
12 REPLIES 12

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Skidus1 wrote:
I installed 90 degree valves on both of my fresh water vent lines, when I see water running out of them I turn off the hose then turn both valves to stop any water loss. Keeps it in the tanks until I get set up camping. Just have to remember to open the valves after a bit of water use so the tanks can vent and not collapse.

I'd rather install a one way valve than a manual one, what if you forget to open it? I suppose the water pump will just starve, doubt it has sufficient power to collapse a tank.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Skidus1
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 90 degree valves on both of my fresh water vent lines, when I see water running out of them I turn off the hose then turn both valves to stop any water loss. Keeps it in the tanks until I get set up camping. Just have to remember to open the valves after a bit of water use so the tanks can vent and not collapse.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I believe there is far more likelihood of collapsing the tanks. DAMHIK

dedmiston wrote:
Solution Number 1: "Yeah, that happens sometimes with these units. To break the flow of the siphon, just hold the end of your compressor hose against the vent line and give it a couple of short blasts to clear the line."

That worked just OK, but I knew it was a horrible idea to blast air into the tanks and risk bursting them.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Dripping finally stopped after 1.5 days. I believe I overfilled tanks (filled until water dripped from overflow hoses). I believe once several gallons were used (to below overflow hoses), siphoning/dripping stopped
Equal-i-zer 10K

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
I used to have the same problem where my vent lines would create a siphon because they were lower than the bottom of the sealed belly. We tried a couple of things with various success.

DISCLAIMER: The kind folks at Giant RV seem to have been dropped on their heads multiple times, so please don't judge me for their solutions with this warranty issue.

Solution Number 1: "Yeah, that happens sometimes with these units. To break the flow of the siphon, just hold the end of your compressor hose against the vent line and give it a couple of short blasts to clear the line."

That worked just OK, but I knew it was a horrible idea to blast air into the tanks and risk bursting them.

Solution Number 2: "We installed shutoff valves on the vent lines for both of your tanks. Make sure you open the valves while you're filling and then shut the valves when you're done. That way the water can't drain out anymore."

This was a pretty bad idea too, plus it was a pain in the butt to crawl down there to mess with the valves before/after filling. I also knew that this really didn't address the poor design of the vents.

Solution Number 3: I quit dealing with Giant RV and hired a mobile tech to install new vent lines that didn't curve or loop and vented the tanks up high instead of down low, the way a vent is supposed to work.

This worked.

I wish I had bailed on Giant RV a lot sooner.

I'd bet money it's a siphon like you describe Dave. You'll have to get to the lines above the clorplast and raise them up above the top of the tank, then there can't be a siphon.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
I used to have the same problem where my vent lines would create a siphon because they were lower than the bottom of the sealed belly. We tried a couple of things with various success.

DISCLAIMER: The kind folks at Giant RV seem to have been dropped on their heads multiple times, so please don't judge me for their solutions with this warranty issue.

Solution Number 2: "We installed shutoff valves on the vent lines for both of your tanks. Make sure you open the valves while you're filling and then shut the valves when you're done. That way the water can't drain out anymore."

This was a pretty bad idea too, plus it was a pain in the butt to crawl down there to mess with the valves before/after filling. I also knew that this really didn't address the poor design of the vents.

Solution Number 3: I quit dealing with Giant RV and hired a mobile tech to install new vent lines that didn't curve or loop and vented the tanks up high instead of down low, the way a vent is supposed to work.

This worked.

I wish I had bailed on Giant RV a lot sooner.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Could just be the water expanding as it warms through the day.
Not knowing how the two tanks are plumbed together it is possible that one drains before the other.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Not hooked up to city water.......
No access to top of tank.....
I’m assuming the flat type of hoses coming from top of tanks are oveflow hoses

I’m Puzzled???.....
Equal-i-zer 10K

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do you have access to the top of the water tank?

If so check the path of the tubes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don,t think the overflow pipe would go to the bottom of a tank. never seen a overflow that was flat. IF your hooked up to a water source? I,d say your check valve is leaking threw keeping the tanks over full. but I really have no idea whats wrong.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If siphoning, that woulsd indicate overflow line goes to bottom of tank (inside tank)....???
Equal-i-zer 10K

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like the overflow in the tank extends to the bottom of the tank and the tank is siphoning out. If so install a vacuum break.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob