Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mind the Batteries

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Folks,
I have a buddy who has a Southwind. It has 2 6-volt batteries connected in series as house batteries. And, a 12-volt engine battery.
I want to get him battery chargers/minders for his birthday. I know he’ll need a 12-volt charger for the motor, but for the 2, 6-volt batteries in series...do I need to get him a 6 volt minder, or a 12 volt?

Best,
Jack
16 REPLIES 16

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I used to “Mind” my batteries, but after having two “Minders” STB (previously defined) and take the batteries with them, I no longer “Mind” them.

I “Tend” them, as in Battery Tender.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I have been flamed for saying this but there are no SIX VOLT batteries in RV's.

Only 12 volt that have been split into two halves for easier handling.

To be very pedantic,everything is built from multiple battery cells. The chemistry of lead-acid batteries produces a voltage of about 2V. Internally all 12V batteries are constructed with six cells connected internally in series. 6V batteries only have three cells. Connecting two 6V batteries in series just gets you back to 6 cells x 2V.

Art
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe "STB" = "Poop" The Bed (substitute Poop for it's censored equivalent) LOL

Coelacanth, you said he replaced the inverter and noticed his batteries weren't charging then. Is it possible he originally had an Inverter/Converter and he replaced it with just an Inverter? The Inverter turns the 12 VDC to 120VAC. The Converter takes 120VAC shorepower (or generator) and converts it to 12 VDC which charges the house batteries. The coach battery may or may not be charged from the Converter. If he replaced an inverter/converter (sometimes called inverter/charger) with a straight inverter, that's why his batteries are not charging when he is plugged in to shore power.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

So you use only 12 volt stuff. the two sixes, when hooked in series are roughly a 4D (that's a BIG 220 amp hour 12 volt battery)

Actually the converter in the RV should charge those just fine less it is a very old rig with a very old converter.

I have been using 6v GC-2's in my RV's for years. Outfitting my new one with L-16's.

IMHO: The group 27 "marine deep cycle" batteries that come in so many RV's are useless in this application.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Coelacanth wrote:
Yes, he did. But, he was having an issue with his batteries dying. Only to discover last month that his inverter had STB. He has replaced the inverter. I thought this might prove to be a redundancy. Just in case?

I carry a small charger but keep it stored and don't use it unless I'm having a problem.

For example the alternator went bad on my toad while we were in Florida so I would hook up the charger on it every night until we got back to California.

What is STB?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is STB?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, he did. But, he was having an issue with his batteries dying. Only to discover last month that his inverter had STB. He has replaced the inverter. I thought this might prove to be a redundancy. Just in case?

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Does he plug into power when not using the coach?

I assume you are getting him the charger for the times he's not using it.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Will do.
Obviously you have more faith in his electrical ability than I might?

Jack

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

So you use only 12 volt stuff. the two sixes, when hooked in series are roughly a 4D (that's a BIG 220 amp hour 12 volt battery)

Actually the converter in the RV should charge those just fine less it is a very old rig with a very old converter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let the owner of the RV determine how to properly connect the battery minder. The only thing you need to know is that a 12V system is what is required.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
X2 on the Trik-L-Start
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not just plug in the RV and use the on board charging system?
If that does not charge the chassis battery you can get him a Trik-L-Start combiner.

https://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

Otherwise you want the 12v minder. Probably one for each battery (house + chassis).

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so for the 2, 6-volt batteries in series...hook to the (-) terminal on one and the (+) terminal of the second?

Jack