cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fence Post Mod - For water hose storage etc?

davis78
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

I've been researching in preparation to do the fence post mod, as mentioned here:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27690434

Initially i'm going to attach one to the frame on the underside of my trailer in order to store my rhino flex sewer hose and accessories.

But... i was thinking it would be nice if i could move my water hoses and maybe some other smaller items into some additional fence posts installed along side the one for sewer hoses.

Has anyone ever stored a water hose in one of these? Just wondering if it would even work, or would i just end up damaging the hose. I've tried searching around for other mentions of using them for this purpose but so far no matches.

Anyone have any other suggestions on what these could be used to store aside from sewer/water hoses?

Thanks very much for any and all help. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave
26 REPLIES 26

davis78
Explorer
Explorer
Not on my trailer which is a Starcraft Autumn Ridge 282BH

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Curious do your RV's have sewer hose door? I should add the compartment is useless, a sewer hose will fit in it with no fittings

davis78
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Here is the same post as linked above but in a 7 foot length which is what I used for mine. No need to pay for extra footage and then just cut it off.
Barney

Before going with 7 foot length, check the width of your trailer. I guess it depends on whether you want the fence post to be recessed from side of trailer, or flush. In my case, the width of my trailer is about 8 feet and i wanted the length of fence posts to pretty much match that in order to maximize the storage space. This allows me to store 20 feet of rhino sewer hose with end caps and fittings on, and some extra pieces, all in one tube. 7 feet would not have been enough for that.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is the same post as linked above but in a 7 foot length which is what I used for mine. No need to pay for extra footage and then just cut it off.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
bsheet2 wrote:
Would like to build one of those to store my sewer hose. Would like to ask a few questions.
- Is the fence post steel, aluminum or plastic?
- Dimensions? 6 inch x 6 inch??
- Where did you purchase the fence post?

Thanks!

5โ€x5โ€ PVC at Loweโ€™s. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Freedom-Common-5-in-x-5-in-x-9-ft-Actual-5-in-x-5-in-x-9-ft-White-Vinyl-Fence-Blank-Post/1000024867
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to build one of those to store my sewer hose. Would like to ask a few questions.
- Is the fence post steel, aluminum or plastic?
- Dimensions? 6 inch x 6 inch??
- Where did you purchase the fence post?

Thanks!

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I actually just made a video showing the build of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyXnnIZ3-20
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the vinyl posts for years now. I carry 40' of sewer hose in one and 40' of vinyl gutter in the other one. I then made a set of stands to hold the gutter and hose while at the beach when the sewer connection is 10" out of the ground. They aren't glued together so they can be disassembled easily.

2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
I use two 7 foot fence posts. One for my collapsible ladder and the second for my sewer hoses.

I have a section of rain gutter that will slide into the fence post. That way I can store two sections of sewer hose and able to easily get them out.

Great idea about the rain gutter in the fence post. I'll look for a place to mount one on my rig.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

davis78
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Edd505. I've just been using the Camco Sidewinder Sewer Hose Support up to now.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
I use two 7 foot fence posts. One for my collapsible ladder and the second for my sewer hoses.

I have a section of rain gutter that will slide into the fence post. That way I can store two sections of sewer hose and able to easily get them out.

You know the rain gutter can also be used as sewer hose support. The hose supports can be a little wobbly on unlevel ground and the gutters help keep it straight and flowing down hill.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

davis78
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
How did you attach the fence post?

I drilled two holes into the frame on each side of the trailer, for each fence post. Then i drilled matching holes into the fence posts. Lastly used a bolt, washers, spacer, and lock nut on each frame hole to attach the fence posts. If you zoom into first picture, you can see the bolts.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
How did you attach the fence post?

davis78
Explorer
Explorer
Got my fence post mod done ๐Ÿ™‚