cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lithium Ion Submarine Batteries

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
SEOUL — South Korea says it has developed lithium-ion batteries that can double the operational hours of submarines compared to those with lead-acid batteries.

The lithium-ion batteries were created for the country’s next-generation attack submarines, expected to launch in the mid-2020s, according to the Defense Acquisition Program Administration, or DAPA.

Following 30 months of development, the batteries passed a technology readiness assessment, a step toward integration on a weapons platform, the agency said in a news release.

“Development of lithium-ion batteries for submarines is a great achievement in the global submarine market,” said Rear Adm. Jung Il-shik of the DAPA’s next-generation submarine project group. “We expect this successful development of lithium-ion batteries to raise South Korea’s reputation as a submarine maker, as well as to have a great ripple effect through the commercial sectors.”

Samsung SDI, the world’s largest supplier of lithium-ion batteries, including ones for cellphones, manufactured the battery module to be mounted on the second batch of three KSS-III submarines. Hanwha Land Systems is responsible for integrating the modules and other parts on the submarine, which is built by Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering.

The first of the three locally designed KSS-III Batch I diesel-electric submarines was launched in September, and two more hulls are expected to be under construction until 2024. According to the DAPA, the KSS-III class is 83.5 meters long and has a beam of 9.6 meters. It has a displacement of 3,358 tons when surfaced, and 3,705 tons when submerged.

The boat is known to be equipped with six vertical launch system tubes and able to accommodate a locally developed cruise missile. It can sail at a maximum speed of 20 knots with a cruising range of 10,000 nautical meters, DAPA officials said.

With a slight redesign and some system upgrades, the Batch II subs are expected to have improved capabilities in attacking strategic land-based targets and performing anti-submarine warfare, the officials said.

South Korea could soon take control of its own wartime operations from the US
South Korea could soon take control of its own wartime operations from the US

An agreement between the U.S. and South Korea is meant to bring about a combined defense structure in which Seoul takes on more responsibility for national defense.

The Korean developers prioritized the safety and reliability of the lithium-ion batteries, which were once considered expensive and too unstable for submarines, another DAPA source with the submarine project group told Defense News.

“It’s no doubt that South Korean companies have the world’s best technology of lithium-ion batteries, but if an accident happened like an explosion, such technology is to be meaningless,” the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the secrecy of the development project. “So we’re really focused on safety and reliability rather than performances. We even lowered the level of performances to an extent on purpose to ensure higher and better safety standards.”

To that end, the new batteries have undergone tests simulating harsh conditions, such as an explosion, seawater, fire, and extreme temperatures, he noted.

“The Korean lithium-ion batteries still would be better than those of competitors,” he asserted, referring to Japan’s recent integration of lithium-ion batteries into its Soryu-class diesel-electric attack submarine.

The 84-meter-long boat for the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force was launched Oct. 4, with an operational data set for 2020. GS Yuasa, a Kyoto-based battery manufacturer, developed the lithium-ion batteries for the Soryu-class sub.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

This is pretty much who and what to watch in the coming months and years. For instance according to this article, YUASA is the brand watch for much smaller lithium packages. Samsung is also a major player and just as the Chinese steal the top tier technology RV'ers should enjoy lower prices and higher reliability because of borrowed battery management circuitry.
18 REPLIES 18

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Yes it would seem like local defense could be easier with a multitude of these vs possibly no nuke powered due to cost. I wonder if they will plug in at the dock vs burn diesel to charge. Can only be better than flooded lead acid.

I can see no way that a D/E sub can be operated in port without a shore line. Smoke boats like most RVs, charge their batteries while under way and just require a modest amount of power while tied up.

Boring holes in the ocean requires a lot of power just as pushing a house through the atmosphere does, sitting at rest, not so much.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Horsedoc wrote:
The also have developed a ship that has no engine and moves along the surface with wind power 😉 😉

Remembering the TV show: The Wackiest Ship In The Army

Yes they have.

And I am told by a rep from a company here in Michigan that they developed a silent sniper weapon for use in Viet Nam. All you hear is the THUNK as the shaft slams into the soon to be deceased.

Bow and arrow
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Littoral subs do not need nearly the complexity of the atmosphere regenerating equipment, food, or 2" thick HY-200 alloy steel pressure hull. Like comparing a circumnavigating ketch to a Hobey cat.

Fewer batteries

But testing and refinement of batteries that no civilian battery would ever see, Until WWII, came along civilian USA batteries relied on hair-thin Port Orford split CEDAR for separators

So the refinements will trickle down to the consumer batteries. This should result in far superior lithium batteries than what is available today.

And as far as English stuff goes the excellence of Rolls Royce is wildly offset by the pitiable notoriety of The Prince of Darkness.

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
The four old subs that Canada bought from Great Britain are diesel electric. There a a large number of big batteries in them. Sorry nightshift I have done many fire drills on these tubs.

That's what I said. Canada isn't a nation that has nuclear powered subs. I thank you for your service for serving on those used pieces of British shite. You're a brave man.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbosail Fascinating!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
The four old subs that Canada bought from Great Britain are diesel electric. There a a large number of big batteries in them. Sorry nightshift I have done many fire drills on these tubs.

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Interesting. I had no idea anybody was still using diesel-electric subs. I thought they were all nuclear by now.

Only seven countries operate nuclear subs. And Canada isn't one of them. The Germans are pioneering stealthy hydrogen fuel-cell u boats.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Got a tour of the Halcyon by non-other than Felipe Cousteau, Sea of Cortez, 1985. The other campers howled with glee when I mentioned I was going in a panga to say hello. And the cow jumped over the moon, right?

The howls subsided when a rigid bottom zodiac brought me back four hours later.

My Dad had fought the navy until they agreed to a stem to stern overhaul of the Calypo in 1962. She was a wood boat with Detroit railroad locomotive engines. Falco and I became friends and Falco the prankster gave me a French gauloise cigarette after dinner, and I stumbled back to the mess as green as seaweed.

The whole crew was pounding on the table tears streaking down their cheeks. Felipe told me that story really made the rounds.

The Halcyion had mecchanical screw sails. The wind twists them which goes through a differential and turns the screw. The boat had problems getting too close to the nose and going in irons.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
The also have developed a ship that has no engine and moves along the surface with wind power 😉 😉

Probably works in a fashion similar to my solar clothes dryer. LOL
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Even in my day, the U S Navy had only a hand full of non nuclear subs and today no non nuclear boats in the service fleet. Several third world countries operate diesel/electric boats to this day. I Would bet Russia and China are front runners in the success of this project. I believe this type of battery will be a good fit for scientific/disaster and rescue boats owned by private consortiums throughout the world.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It certainly avoids one aspect of Lead Acid power. If battery acid and sea water mix, chlorine gas is created.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it would seem like local defense could be easier with a multitude of these vs possibly no nuke powered due to cost. I wonder if they will plug in at the dock vs burn diesel to charge. Can only be better than flooded lead acid.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Interesting. I had no idea anybody was still using diesel-electric subs. I thought they were all nuclear by now.

Though having various operating constraints, the diesel sub is cheaper to field, much stealthier (silent...), and can be asymmetrical deadlier particularly in coastal waters...Much of this depends on how far a Navy must go to project it’s power...