cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 to 30 to 15 amps

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
Was at Camping World recently where I saw a travel trailer on their showroom with what looked like its 50 amp cord, with a reducer to 30 amps and another reducer that was then plugged into a regular wall outlet.

We'll be moving from our home soon so I do not want to install a 50 amp breaker and associated receptacle so is there anything wrong with using a similar set up? I realize I will need to limit the load to under 15 amps but that should keep a trickle charge on the batteries. I am not running the A/C or really anything else except the DC controls and the fridge (running on propane).
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z
15 REPLIES 15

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
Just because it is a 15 amp receptacle doesn't mean it is limited to 15 amps. I have seen many 15 amp receptacles wired with #12 wire and feed from a 20 amp circuit breaker, I did that in my garage and barn and everything else I wire up personally. 15 amp receptacles use to be cheaper than 20 amp and I can change the receptacle if I need 20 amp at that spot.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
You probably won't have a problem doing what you suggest.

"I realize I will need to limit the load to under 15 amps."

The problem is that "EVERYONE ELSE" other than you who uses the RV needs to be aware of the 15 amp limit too. If they aren't, then you have created the possibility of having your dog bone adapters/extension cord(s) functioning as your circuit breaker which they are not designed to do.

When we were kids, we burned up my moms vacuum cleaner because we didn't know the limitations. Some how we managed to insert a 120 volt plug into an outlet that was wired for 220 volts. (it's a long story but we did it) That vacuum worked really good . . . . . for a few seconds. That's when the smoke started pouring out of it. My mom wanted a new vacuum anyway.

Chum lee

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the 50 to 30 in the event we come across a park where there is only 30 amp service available. Just ordered the 50 to 15 for the house.

Thanks for the input all!
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
I have a 50A to 15A Dogbone. You don't need two reducers. This is what I use. Your setup might be different but I'm sure you can find the right reducer for your rig. Click Here

I prefer THIS ONE. I like the 90 degree on the 15 amp side.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It will work without a problem as long as you limit what you use. Although I would recommend installing at least a 30A RV outlet. At least then you can run everything (only 1 AC if you have 2)! Thatโ€™s what I do and have no issues.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
OP is not asking about how to wire a receptical. OP stated he is moving and does not want to install one. OP simply asked if he could plug into a 15 amp circuit using a dogbone.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Best practise would be a 15 male to 50 female. You may wish to have a 30 to 50. Dogbone adapters are preferred.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

Be very careful wiring up your house for the 30A and 50A pedestal connections. They are slightly different than regular house wiring... A mistake here will get very expensive for you when you first plug in... Lots of blue smoke...

Even when you have a professional do it can be dangerous. They too should be mindful this is for an RV Circuit. The savings grace with using professional electricians is they have Insurance to cover the blue smoke mistakes. If you do it yourself guess who pays for all of that haha...

The 30A RV receptacle is indeed unique, and is the one that sometimes gets miswired with disastrous results. It looks vaguely like the (older) 3 wire 30A 240V electric dryer receptacles that are quite common, but is not the same thing and is a 120V connection.

The 50A RV receptacle is absolutely identical to a (newer) four wire electric range receptacle, and any electrician with any experience at all should be able to properly wire it in their sleep. You could unplug your kitchen range and plug your RV in, if it isn't a three wire range connection; or, I suppose, bring a range to a campground and plug it in there. People may think you a bit odd, but what's the fun in being boringly normal?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok all you got to do is remember the rules according to Reddy Killowatt

50 amps.. All the electricty your RV can eat (Usually)

30 amps. ONLY ONE air conditioner and ONE other "Big ticket" (and sometimes not even that) Big Ticket is Microwave or Water heater or space heater (See note below)

20 amps.. ONE a/C OR one big ticket item but not both if RC i only item on circuit

15 Amps. if the batteries are full up you MIGHT get one A/C to work but iffy. or one big ticket.

NOTES

15 amp outlet two paralll blades 20 the neutral is turned 90 degrees. The more common 15/20 (Takes either plug) the Neutral is "T" shaped.

Space heaters: I have special 15/20 amp circuits for mine the standard RV wiring may or may not take the load. I had one failure. others have had worse.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I have been running off a 120 outlet using my 50amp cord for 5 years and ran my other rvs for 20 years the same way put either a 30amp cord to 120.
I finally tapped into my panel and ran a 50 to the rv. I gab a breaker laying around went to Home Depot and picked up some wire and a box.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got to carry the various adapters with you on the camping trips... Many of trips with my 30A shore power cable I find the pedestal has burn and melted parts on it so no way will I plug into that. I will use the 50A to 30A adapter and plug my popup into that... It is safe to do as it only taps into one side of the hot wires... I also carry a HD regular extension cord and like to also plug into the pedestal 20A service to run my space heater or things on the outside when needed...

I call these PLAN-B items...

What you saw at a camp store might be the way that person is storing them too... Just plug them all together to keep track of them...

I don't care much for the small plastic adapters you see a lot of - they would always get hot for me when being used. I like the dog bone long cord type of adapters...

I also always have a multimeter along on my my trips and like to walk around the 30A and 50A pedestals and make sure they have the correct AC Voltages where it should be...

A good place to look at these thing is NOSHOCKZONE on-line... Lots of good info there...

50A Side

30A Side

Be very careful wiring up your house for the 30A and 50A pedestal connections. They are slightly different than regular house wiring... A mistake here will get very expensive for you when you first plug in... Lots of blue smoke...

Even when you have a professional do it can be dangerous. They too should be mindful this is for an RV Circuit. The savings grace with using professional electricians is they have Insurance to cover the blue smoke mistakes. If you do it yourself guess who pays for all of that haha...

Just saying...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's why they make those various adapters. It's perfectly fine to use them. However, I would not recommend adding any additional standard extension cords when using 15/20 amp circuit. If you do need to run longer to reach a plug keep the extension cord as large as possible (30 amp extension cord if possible) or us a heavy duty cord that is as short as possible.
You just have to be aware of what is and what is not running in the RV. There are a number of parasitic loads so a bit of experimenting might be necessary. I have plugged my Prevost bus conversion into a 15 amp circuit to keep the residential fridge running. I just have to turn most everything else off.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 50A to 15A Dogbone. You don't need two reducers. This is what I use. Your setup might be different but I'm sure you can find the right reducer for your rig. Click Here
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.