Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Survey-- City Water vs pump
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Survey-- City Water vs pump

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious how people supply their water.... fist a little background story.
Several years ago we were walking back to our RV and I saw water pouring out of the door of another RV. As I was running up to the camper, someone else was also heading that way and got to the water spigot first and turned it off. The owners were not there, I can only imagine what they found when they returned.

So, while connected to city water, if we leave the RV for more than a several minutes, I turn off the city water.

Others I have talked to like to fill the onboard tank and then exclusively use the pump to supply water , turning on the city water supply only when refilling the tank.

What do you do ?

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hooked up once 7 years ago. Then I had an issue with the valve so I just capped off the city water line. I use my tank and pump. I shut off the pump at night or when I leave the camper.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only tank. If the pump turns on in the middle of the night either someone is using the bathroom OR there is a leak.
My guess would be that 95% of the RVers use the CG source.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran into a problem in one park where the city "Shocked" the system to sanitize. Well they over did it. and the water tasted like bleach for a long time. I got in the habit of filling the fresh tank and using the pump (Without pressure the chlorine swiftly dissipates) and.. Still do it that way .

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

BruceMc

Oregon - Willamette Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We fill & use the tank.

My brother usually connects to city only when his GF needed long showers to do her flowing hair.

I suspect it depends on the RVr's usage model - if they are parked for the longer duration, they probably connect to the city.

If, like us, we are on the move nearly daily where we boondock 2 or 3 nights out of 4, much of our water usage is away from city sources. Thus, even when in a campground, we'll run on the water we have until it's about time to leave. We then top up on fresh and subsequently empty the waste.

'16 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
Previously:
'00 Four Winds 26Q Class C (Ford E350 V10)
'96 Kit Sportsmaster 212f Fifth Wheel/'93 GMC Sierra K2500
'91 SunLite poptop truck camper
and the first: a Wildernest flip-top canopy.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I hooked up once 7 years ago. Then I had an issue with the valve so I just capped off the city water line. I use my tank and pump. I shut off the pump at night or when I leave the camper.

Did you try to fix the valve?

I really like having the option of either tank or hook up. We do plenty of dry camping so the tank comes in handy. We usually turn off the pump when we leave. Have heard horror stories of something breaking or coming loose while people are away and return to a flooded trailer.

When we have hookups I always use the campground water. I prefer this because it is much more quiet, our pump is not silent. There have been a very few instances where the campground water was not the best so the tank would be better but that is not worth all the hassle of towing all the weight around. I have a pressure reducer and I try to turn off the water at the faucet when we leave. Truth be told, I often forget.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the sites we've ever camped on have been electrical only, no water. Those few times we do have on-site water I still don't connect and only use it as a convenient source of water to fill the trailer's FW tank. Whenever we plan to be away from the camper any length of time the water pump master switch is turned off.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use whatever's works where I'm at. If I have water at the site I use it. If dry camping I use the pump. Been doing it that way for 10 years. If I leave for any length of time I turn off whichever supply I'm using.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use city water when available if of reasonable quality but still with a good filter to get any chlorine or nasties.
Sometimes we fill tand and use from it, if the water pressure is low during part of the day.
We have encountered parks where water pressure was 80 lbs or more. Get a good shower then. I have as we all have accounts of lines bursting or fittings coming apart with high pressures. we have a pressure regulator..which we sometimes use.
We generally get a better shower off our tank with 55psi pressure than most parks service which seem to keep pressures in the 30-40 lb range which is too low.
As to water fill check valve blowing out, we have read accounts here and I think seen it once. It could burst the tank perhaps. I accidentally filled too long and had water coming out of the fill port on the side of the coach.
One thing that will insure the integrity of the fill check valve is to always filter the water before it gets to it.
It is perhaps a great idea to turn the spigot off at the post when leaving, and certainly not imprudent to just fill the tank and use from it.
But...is life that uncertain?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I taste the water. If I like it, I'll hook up. If i don't I'll use the tank. However, I mostly boondock.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Survey-- City Water vs pump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS