Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 1/2 Ton Towable 5th Wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1/2 Ton Towable 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello:

Does anyone have a 5th wheel that they say can be towed by a 1/2 ton truck? Are you actually towing it with a 1/2 ton truck and what kind of truck do you have?

I had originally thought that when I retire I would get a motorhome with a toad. However, I wasn't planning on "traveling" all the time. Was going to find a location and be there for a month, then move to the next spot and stay a month or two. The more I thought about it the more a 5th wheel or TT made more sense to me. Wouldn't have to worry about another engine to maintain, additional tires to replace, and gas for two vehicles. I had a Jeep that could be towed 4 down, but would need to get a truck for a 5th or TT.

I looked at trucks and my budget (or what I was willing to pay) was for 1/2 ton. Found a 2019 F150, XLT, 3.6L ecoboost, 4x4, 145" wheelbase, 20" tires, 6.5 foot bed, 3.55 rear axle ratio, pay load of 2,030 lbs. I did look at RAM, Chevy and GMC but the Ford had the highest tow rating.

After researching and scrolling though numerous websites and Ford's website I can conventional tow 12,700 lbs. with this truck. Ford says 13,200 with the Max Towing package, which I don't have. The only thing I don't have in the towing package is the transmission cooler. From what I found so far for a 5th wheel it says 10,000 lbs.

Wondering what kind of experience you have towing the 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck. I know the majority are going to tell me to get a bigger truck, but again the budget dictates a 1/2 ton. I know a TT would work well for me, but just investigating the possibility of a 5th wheel.

* This post was edited 06/25/19 08:19am by rollindowntheroad *

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“1/2 ton towable” is just an advertising gimmick. There are the rare cases with a stripped down regular cab max payload truck that might have the payload to get away with it but usually that line gets people into trouble.

2k of payload is on the high end of most half ton trucks. Once you add a hitch (~200lbs) and a couple of light passengers (say 300lbs) you have 1500lbs left for pin weight. There aren’t many fivers that have even unloaded pin weights less than that. Even if you ignored the payload rating you’d still be hard pressed to stay within the axle and tire ratings.

Don’t get fooled. Half ton trucks aren’t built to tow fivers.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

“1/2 ton towable” is just an advertising gimmick. There are the rare cases with a stripped down regular cab max payload truck that might have the payload to get away with it but usually that line gets people into trouble.

2k of payload is on the high end of most half ton trucks. Once you add a hitch (~200lbs) and a couple of light passengers (say 300lbs) you have 1500lbs left for pin weight. There aren’t many fivers that have even unloaded pin weights less than that. Even if you ignored the payload rating you’d still be hard pressed to stay within the axle and tire ratings.

RV board nonsense.

OP, look at Rockwood / Flagstaff, Grand Design Reflection 150 series, Winnebagos Micro Mini series, etc.

Sure you're not going to be pulling a 40 foot 5er with a 3K pin weight with a 1500, but there are plenty of 5th wheels made that a 1500 truck can more than handle.

Don't buy into the RV forum gibberish.

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my 1st 5th wheel the dealer told me that my 1/2 ton truck would work with the 5th wheel. I learned my 1st important lesson that day. A dealer will tell you just about anything to make a sale.

I towed it one time and when the trip was over I told my wife we either get a new truck or sell the 5th wheel. I had to make runs at most hills and the truck was struggling quite a bit. I was white knuckled while pulling that 5th wheel. We got a 3/4 Chevy gasser and it was a huge difference.

You don't say where most of your travels would be. If you need to pull through some mountains then even the new 1/2 tons will struggle.

I now have a 3/4 Chevy Diesel and couldn't be happier. If your budget cannot handle a new truck consider a good certified used. That's what my diesel is. If not then consider a bumper pull travel trailer.

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

I agree with everything stressed here. It would be suicide to even consider pulling any 5th wheel, even a 24' one, with a V6 powered F150. You definitely have the wrong truck. Consider a small to mid sized travel trailer.

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not planning on going through any mountain regions. Currently living in Florida and will stay there the majority of the time. Have a daughter that lives in Northern Illinois may spend summers there.

I don't have an RV at this time. Looking at and exploring ALL options. Yes, a TT will work just fine for me, but again investigating the 5th wheel possibilities.

I hear 100% of people tell me, only believe about 3%. I am trying to people's real experiences if there are any.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're limited in selection of 5th wheels with a 1/2 ton. Me personally I'd opt for a TT. Much more bang for the buck. No need to worry about having enough truck, more floor plans to choose from. In order for a 5th wheel to be light enough to be 1/2 ton towable you could run into a situation where they cut corners. Not so with a TT.

BTW you still have 4 more tires to replace either way.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

Or it could be said 5th wheels are not built to be towed with half tons.
OTOH, My Dad had a '85 F150, long bed, extended cab, FI high output 302. He full timed for 8 years with a 28 foot 5th wheel. Sure he was over GVWR, RAR, (ran heavier than stock tires on back) and likely GCVWR for every one of the 100,000+ miles he towed that trailer. But he got pretty fair mileage and good ride for the even more miles that he drove the truck. I traded him out of that truck, and drove it another 25,000 miles. Transmission or engine never had anything but normal maintenance. Now, we did have to replace the rear axles a couple of times because the bearings used axle for race.
I sold the truck in '05, still ran and drove good...

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To: Twodownzero:

I don't have the wrong truck! I don't have an RV yet. I am investigating and learning, that is why I ask questions. These are the kind of responses that tick me off.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollindowntheroad wrote:

To: Twodownzero:

I don't have the wrong truck! I don't have an RV yet. I am investigating and learning, that is why I ask questions. These are the kind of responses that tick me off.

No need to get ticked off. You have to realize that once one is inducted into the Weight Police its just like being made in the Mafia. Once you're in, you're in for the duration. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1/2 Ton Towable 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS