Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Texas?!? I'm shocked.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Texas?!? I'm shocked.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 01:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Illinois and safety inspections at about $30 each were required twice a year for my truck registered at 12000lbs. Inspection requirement was changed to once a year as of 1-1-19. All vehicles registered over 8000lbs in Illinois require safety inspection. I don't know what the inspection cost is for bigger trucks. In the Chicago area most gas powered vehicles do require emission testing. No fee for emission testing. I do wish they would check people light when there.

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 03:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In RI, because of the weight of the RV I have to get an inspection every year. Luckily it's only 15.00. For a regular car it's every 2 years and costs $58.00. And "supposedly" that money goes to improve the roads [emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/26/19 01:19pm by suprz *

Proud father of a US Marine

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suprz wrote:

In RI, because of the weight of the RV I have to get an inspection every year. Luckily it's only 15.00. For a regular car it's every 2 years and costs $58.00. And "supposedly" that money goes to improve the roads [emoticon]

Having been on R I road last October, they are spending the money on something else. I believe every bit of my spine was loosened up on that one road.

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas trailer inspections

Per the state's website, it is only on trailers with gross weight exceeding 7500 lbs. No need to bash the state without knowing the regulations. I've got a 3500 lb pop-up and have never been asked for proof of inspection to get it registered.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Huuuuh....surprise, surprise....good old California doesn't have "annual vehicle inspetions" - only bi-annual smog inspections.

I guess CA is a "freedom place" in some respects after all. [emoticon]

However, CA *does* require an endorsement ("restriction 41") for a 5th Wheel between 10K & 15K and a NonCommercial Class A for over 15K.

Also for a TT over 10K.

The "freedom" you will lose - is LOTS of your time at specific DMVs to
take (& pass) the driving test for a NonCommercial Class A (if you need one).[emoticon]

CHP will check vehicles (especially toy haulers) for same in and around where folks take their toys to play - dunes, etc. Also folks in So.CA towing large boats to the CO. River.

WE (in CA) have the freedom to pay the highest gasoline prices in the USA - - or...walk or ride a bike, LOL.

Also to pay at (or close to) ten percent sales tax on new vehicles, and VERY exorbitant registration fees for pickups. (Compare CA to SD - Yikes!)

However if you've been here a while and have owned a home, low property taxes (due to Prop 13) - are a bonus.
Ditto for low heating & cooling costs in So. CA.

[emoticon]

malexander

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm proud to be an Okie.
OK did away with the state inspection in 1982 IIRC.
OHP said they never investigated an accident that the "safety inspection" would have prevented.

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, 2007 Honda VTX 1300R, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Ventera. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

sempka

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ X2

2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has nothing to do with Texas but when I was in the canoe club in Hawaii, I found out they had safety inspections. That was in 1959.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dtank wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Huuuuh....surprise, surprise....good old California doesn't have "annual vehicle inspetions" - only bi-annual smog inspections.

I guess CA is a "freedom place" in some respects after all. [emoticon]

However, CA *does* require an endorsement ("restriction 41") for a 5th Wheel between 10K & 15K and a NonCommercial Class A for over 15K.

Also for a TT over 10K.

The "freedom" you will lose - is LOTS of your time at specific DMVs to
take (& pass) the driving test for a NonCommercial Class A (if you need one).[emoticon]

CHP will check vehicles (especially toy haulers) for same in and around where folks take their toys to play - dunes, etc. Also folks in So.CA towing large boats to the CO. River.

WE (in CA) have the freedom to pay the highest gasoline prices in the USA - - or...walk or ride a bike, LOL.

Also to pay at (or close to) ten percent sales tax on new vehicles, and VERY exorbitant registration fees for pickups. (Compare CA to SD - Yikes!)

However if you've been here a while and have owned a home, low property taxes (due to Prop 13) - are a bonus.
Ditto for low heating & cooling costs in So. CA.

[emoticon]

Well, I guess that we're under the CA RV drivers license radar with our Class C and as such aren't exposed to what the TT/5'er folks are having to put up with.

FWIW, regarding our particular unique heating (heat pump and fireplace) and cooling (heat pump) costs: PG&E just last year reduced our electric rates (affecting our heat pump's consumption) via renewable energy sourcing, and our gas rates for the fireplace just got reduced due to a special district we're in.

More proof that there is more than one California.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sun City Center near Ruskin FL has annual golf cart inspections. Nothing worse than octogenarians running around the streets in unsafe golf carts.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Texas?!? I'm shocked.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.