cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadside Assistance Question

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
We're about to leave on a four month, 7,000 mile trip in the US and Canada with a Ram 1500 and 27' TT. I've read some previous threads on this subject, but would like to hear from anyone with recent experience and opinions.

I've narrowed it down to three options:

1. Good Sam has a special on their basic plan for $75 for online signup (plus a $20 gift card at Camping world/Gander). Their premium plan ($35 more) benefits don't appeal to me except for the availability of "tech support from a certified RV tech". That could come in handy. Has anyone ever used this feature?

2. Escapees is $139, $40 to join plus $99 for Roadside Assist plan through SafeRide Motor Club. Tech support feature is included. This is the most expensive of the three, but Escapees website hints at discounts at 800 campsites, but isn't very specific. Anyone have experience with their RA plan or CG discounts?

3. FMCA is $124, $50 to join ($10 off special just started) plus $74 for RA, also through SafeRide, looks like exact same benefits as Escapees. There don't seem to be any other financial benefits.

Looking for input on savings with Escapees or FMCA, or good/bad on the RA plans.

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I think AAA has nation-wide coverage too, maybe depends on the level you pick.

Double check that your coverage will take car of both tow vehicle and trailer if you need a tow. I pay extra for the trailer, maybe $25 per year, so they will tow the trailer if TV gets towed. Otherwise you will be paying the tow company to tow your trailer.

If you are on the road long enough you will need a tow, and even the greatest mechanic is helpless without his tools and his garage when in the middle of nowhereโ€ฆ

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Coach Net for years. Fast response, call backs to see if road service arrived, couple times sing and go couple other they had already been paid when the arrived.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I decided on the "premier" RV option from AAA. I have had the basic AAA roadside plan for years and it has paid for itself. It is valid for any time or place and for any vehicle. You don't even need to be the owner of the vehicle that has broken down.:@ You can add multiple vehicles or family members for a modest increase in the annual cost.

Buyer beware....

While your AAA will cover you in your home state, there are areas of the USA that don't have AAA reciprocity...:(

Maybe that has changed, maybe not. Check (search) the "over 12 months" archives for posts regarding same.

:h

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Coach Net
Jim Hunter

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I decided on the "premier" RV option from AAA. I have had the basic AAA roadside plan for years and it has paid for itself. It is valid for any time or place and for any vehicle. You don't even need to be the owner of the vehicle that has broken down. You can add multiple vehicles or family members for a modest increase in the annual cost.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
PartyOf Five wrote:
Don't forget to check with your insurance provider because it's really inexpensive if you don't use regularly, and sounds like that's your plan, to have it as a backup option.

Roadside assistance on my Progressive policy for my Toyhauler is $16.00 every 6 months. I've used it 3 times to change a flat, once for towing which it limits to 100 miles or less. Hard to beat that.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are in a motorhome and have Coachnet. They do offer for towables also.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I do the same as PartyOfFive. Must be an IL thing. :W

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
same answer as on other forum.... Look at the additional benefits FMCA gives you - especially the FMCAssist to get you home...
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Coach Net, best service. I have used them 3 times and every time they where there in a reasonable time. One time I was told they had been paid before the truck arrived.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 20 years of RVing part time I have needed a tow exactly once for $80 on New Year's Eve to get a fuel pump replaced.
I change my own flats, replaced a start battery, replaced alternator myself on the road.
Consider adding towing reimbursement insurance to your auto policy and know the limits. Or pay cash as you go.

Of course for big rigs or you are unable or unwilling to do some of the work you might be more inclined to get the service. I am easily ahead by skipping the service. Maybe just good luck.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
The annual cost of the Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan must be keep in perspective. i.e. One of my GS tows would have cost me $1200, another tow would have cost me 900$ if I would not have had the GS Roadside assistance plan. If the inital and annual cost of the GS tow plan is not finanically affordable, then just take your chances and pay out of pocket for all your tow costs when you break down.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I got tired of Good Sam offering a low upfront price then hit you with a almost double renewal price. BTW to get the low upfront price you will likely have to agree to auto renewal at year end. So you have to remember to cancel or they will auto renew you at their full retail price.

Got tired of the above and went with FMCA. The price is similar after you figure the membership fee. We went with it because you get the medical travel assist program for free with membership. GS and others charge extra for that.

Haven't used FMCA. Used GS once for dead battery and it was good service.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
I have had Good Sam Roadside assistance for 30 yrs. They have always resolved any road side issues over the years. Batteries, flat tires, loading up my whole trailer on to a 60' flat bed trailer twice, towing both my 5th. wheel and truck at the same time. Have there been any issues, yes but usually just minor delays by a few tow trucks and some Good Sam staff who were not fully trained and fully informed. My last issue was pulling into a Calif. Rest Area because my clutch went bad, disabling my truck. The female Good Sam representive told me that because I didn't have my truck and trailer on the actual Interstate Hwy. that GS would only tow my truck but not my 5th wheel which would I would have to leave in the Rest Area and pay for my owing towing. I called GS customer service and filed a complaint. as directed. He told me the female agent was WRONG and was POORLY trained . 2 weeks later GS sent me a check for the total tow I had to pay for, $850:):)
I always buy the Premium Plan for assistance AND Emergency Evacuation for health issues( GS will send a truck driver to drive your RV home and will pay for flight cost for the person with health needs. And GS camping for the 10% discounts