cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winegard® Connect™ 2.0 WiFi & 4G LTE

quiltingGmom
Explorer
Explorer
Need help with suggestions for TV reception. We have a mounted antenna which works fairly well, but I would like to be able to watch my comcast (xfinity to go) on the road. I'm wondering if the Winegard® Connect™ 2.0 WiFi & 4G LTE booster would be a good option. I assume I can get a SIMM card from AT@T to use my data plan. But do I just plug in the antenna(like I would my cable cord?) and then how do I get the comcast reception on my TV--is there an ap to download on the TV itself? This booster gets mixed reviews but kind of looks like it might be that people don't know how to use it. Any help or ideas are appreciated, but I don't "talk tech" -- the kids all moved out!
12 REPLIES 12

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF you can find a cooperative AT&T dealer, have them set the sim card for a cell phone, and manually attach the IMEI # to the sim. Plug in the sim card and truly have unlimited data for the cost of a cell phone.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Just a brief note to say that I got this working with a Telus SIM (note - fairly IT capable - I'm IT manager at my company).

After fighting through the crappy app, need for internet, because you need an account, and wrong instructions, I got my newly purchased Gateway to work in an area with terribly spotty cell service, with a Telus mobility card. I had to try different settings and card insertions, but it works excellently.

Oh ya, VOIP works better than any cell  in the area.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
More 2: the Winegard comes with the Winegard SIMM card used for its pay as you go plan. You would need to purchase a SIMM card from an AT&T or Verizon store particular to the data plan you want to use. Winegard uses a SIMM card larger than the smallest ones--best to buy a card that snaps down to the size needed. The Winegard plan, while more expensive per Gig, might be less expensive for light users. We try to be out in the RV 80% of the time, so Verizon is best for us. Yes, everything is tech complicated the first time through, but the manual is accurate, and Winegard telephone support knows what they're doing. Once it is setup and working, the configuration process is repeatable and easy to learn. Maybe OP can get a kid to visit during initial configuration. Also, the cellular configuration for the SIMM card that you acquire involves a bunch of numbers, but these are all on the instruction manual sticker.

Again, feel free to ask questions.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
But wait--there's more! Check out my comments in the "Need some help with equipment to boost internet" thread, and I'll add a few additional remarks here. Most of us can't afford a data plan that lets us stream, so other techniques need to be developed (covered mine in the other thread)--we have found mirroring to a Roku plugged into an HDMI port on the TV to work best for us. Both Chrome Cast and Roku want a WiFi connection. I found the Chrome Cast impossibly hard to use, and I was never able to get it to mirror without pulling Gigs from the data plan to which it was connected using up the monthly allotment. We love Roku so much we have 6 of them between the house and the trailer. Easy setup, and mirroring works well. While the Roku wants a WiFi connection (we use the Winegard) it appears to only use Gigs from the WiFi if you are actually streaming through that WiFi connection. We have been mirroring from a phone for 3 days with no discernible use from our Verizon data plan that feeds the Winegard.

I'll continue to monitor this thread for specific questions on our experience.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've had the Winegard unit for 1.5 years now and generally like it. It usually improves campground wifi and when boondocking love the 4G. The data from Winegard is expensive and have bought the 10 gig plan at least 10 times. We use the data for our phones and laptop, and have a Sony smart blueray player that has wifi built in to watch YouTube on the TV. And this unit only needs 12 volts to operate.
I'm not a really a geek and this thing can get quirky for me sometimes but there's a little learning curve.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We purchased the Winegard Connect 2.0 4G at the Tampa RV show in January, and like it just fine--no experience with other devices. Winegard dropped the price on this model to be more reasonable than some of the older units. It comes in 2 versions WiFi only and both WiFi and cellular 4G (for only a little more money.) Winegard offers their own pay as you go plan which is more expensive per Gig than cellular companies. It is compatible with either AT&T or Verizon data plans--we use Verizon because that has the best service where we travel. You need a data plan (not a phone plan, but usually in addition to a phone plan) to connect to the Winegard. In Verizon world that means some pretty severe Gig limits, so this is not the best solution for streaming. The setup for the Winegard is a bit complicated to setup but the instructions are good. You have to upgrade the software to work with the service provider that you choose. You program the Winegard to tell it whether you want to use 4G or WiFi, and it stays that way until the next program. The Winegard then rebroadcasts the internet connection as a new and unique WiFi signal coming through your roof. To program the Winegard, you connect a phone, tablet, and computer to this WiFi signal. The output of the Winegard is just a WiFi signal like a Verizon Jetpack or the hot spot on your phone. Setting up and programming would be definitely helped by some network configuration experience, but most should be able to get through the instructions. We like ours! The roof top location should be a better receiver. One challenge would be getting a 12 volt cable up there for power (our trailer came pre-wired)--many run a wire up through the fridge vent.

FishnFun
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Togo RoadLink and as such I am now in search of a new reasonable data plan from Verizon or AT&T. I am confused as to whether a plan that is typically used for a phone would work? Winegard said a mini SIM card should be used. Has anyone with the Roadlink successfully switched plans if so which one(s)?

Paul_D
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
If I were going to go with the Winegard Connect (and I'm not), I would strongly consider the ***Link Removed*** version. They negotiated a special deal with ATT for $30 per month unlimited data. That requires an annual payment of $360 instead of monthly, and locks you into ATT, but it's hard to beat that price for unlimited data.

I'm sad to say that the deal was terminated by AT&T.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seattle Steve wrote:
If I were going to go with the Winegard Connect (and I'm not), I would strongly consider the Togo Roadlink version. They negotiated a special deal with ATT for $30 per month unlimited data. That requires an annual payment of $360 instead of monthly, and locks you into ATT, but it's hard to beat that price for unlimited data.

This deal has been terminated by AT&T as of Jan 1, 2020.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ramprasad
Explorer
Explorer
The focus on streaming has made it quite an interesting way to stay tuned to your entertainment no matter where you are. You no longer need to worry about the subscription fees, signal issues, and other issues that would normally affect you. Xfinity Stream is a wonderful streaming application that lets you have access to a host of TV shows, movies, sports, and practically everything. Ever wondered ***Link Removed***Xfinity stream on firestick

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
If I were going to go with the Winegard Connect (and I'm not), I would strongly consider the Togo Roadlink version. They negotiated a special deal with ATT for $30 per month unlimited data. That requires an annual payment of $360 instead of monthly, and locks you into ATT, but it's hard to beat that price for unlimited data.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you purchase the Winegard (or any other WiFi/4G extender) you should setup your TV to use your cell phone directly (assuming it has a hotspot function). Unless your TV is VERY smart and can run WiFi apps directly, you will also have to purchase a WiFi streaming device (Roku, Amazon FireStick, or other) for the TV.

Installing the FireStick (or other device) is very simple - plug it into an HDMI port on the TV, plug in the power, and get a WiFi connection to your cell phone. Download the Xfinity app to the FireStick (see HERE ) and log into your Xfinity account.

The Winegard or other extenders are only useful in areas where you have very poor 4G access for your cell phone or have poor access to the CG WiFi system. Most CG have very poor free WiFi access and/or don't have enough bandwidth for streaming.

Be aware that streaming TV via cell phone may use 1-4 GB per hour.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40