cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM 1500 3.6L V6 and small trailer opinions

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
My son is interested in buying a family member's RAM to tow a small couples trailer, but I was surprised to find the low tow rating of 4400, and max payload of 1794. The rear axle gearing is 3.21, and has the 8-speed transmission. He would be the only person in the tow, and he weighs maybe 175. I was going to recommend these:

CampLite 16, CL16TBS. Dry weight is 3010, and the GVWR 4,400
CL16TBS

Lance 1475 (I'm sure too $$$) Dry weight 2600, GVWR 3700
Lance 1475

Possibly one of the White Water Retros, but I believe many have had issues with their earlier models. The 177FK and SE have dry weights around 3000 and the larger 179 is 3360.

Are even those too heavy?

Girlfriend is a traveling nurse, so the use would be two adults the majority of the time. Not a lot of options for them with that truck. He has zero towing experience and this mama is a little rattled. lol Would love some feedback.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos
13 REPLIES 13

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
For 13 weeks at a time I would want at least a trailer with a walk around bed, probably in the 24-26 foot range.

Since he hasn't purchased the truck I would look for something with a better tow rating even if it meant dropping a couple of years.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
bakerkids wrote:
rexlion wrote:
Scamp is about 2600 lbs, 16' overall. But if he gets the rear end swapped out it opens up all sorts of choices.

Doggone these kids that don't get married nowadays. My daughter, same thing. Ugh!

I know! So frustrating. I work in the court system, and we have women with babies from 4 different dads. Don't get me started on the non-commitment thing. Ugh.

I wanted him to consider a Casita, but he's passing on it unfortunately. FOr one thing, a couple of my suggestions have a dry bath.
That's to bad he didn't consider the Casita or Scamp because their resell value is unmatched in the box trailer world.

True. Although I think he'd feel more confined. I have a friend who owns the one with swivel chairs, which is rare. Lance makes one, but they're few and far between. However, I feel confined in hers with both of us in there, and they'll be in their trailer in one location for up to 13 weeks.
1 shih tzu
Our photos

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
bakerkids wrote:
rexlion wrote:
Scamp is about 2600 lbs, 16' overall. But if he gets the rear end swapped out it opens up all sorts of choices.

Doggone these kids that don't get married nowadays. My daughter, same thing. Ugh!

I know! So frustrating. I work in the court system, and we have women with babies from 4 different dads. Don't get me started on the non-commitment thing. Ugh.

I wanted him to consider a Casita, but he's passing on it unfortunately. FOr one thing, a couple of my suggestions have a dry bath.
That's to bad he didn't consider the Casita or Scamp because their resell value is unmatched in the box trailer world.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:

1 shih tzu
Our photos

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
Hmmm...admittedly, this is the RV forum, but if I were young, camping with two kayaks, maybe watching a budget, moving around, I'd do what I did, a cargo conversion. Mine is 3,000lbs fully loaded.

7x16 Conversion

I now tow it with my Mitsubishi Montero V6:

He doesn't have the time, tools, or skills to build out something. My advice to him is a ready-to-roll camper. In this post I'm looking for a trailer weight he shouldn't exceed. It most likely will be easier to sell a camper, as well, if they find they want to put down roots in one of the areas. This is supposed to be a minimum of a one-year experience.

Thanks for sharing your option.
1 shih tzu
Our photos

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm...admittedly, this is the RV forum, but if I were young, camping with two kayaks, maybe watching a budget, moving around, I'd do what I did, a cargo conversion. Mine is 3,000lbs fully loaded.

7x16 Conversion

I now tow it with my Mitsubishi Montero V6:
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
Ditto carringb and TurnThePage:
The Pentastar V6 is the often-overlooked "engine that could". Very capable and tough, but does need to rev to get it done in the hills. Interesting that swapping from 3.21 to 3.55 increases the trailer rating by 3,000lbs, on the same equipped truck.

Noticed you have a Tab trailer, what kind of camping is your son likely to do? Haul kayaks, bikes, traditional trailer, stay at regular campgrounds or off the beaten path?

Take a look at IntechRV for Luna, small toy haulers, or even the fancy new Sol trailer. Any of those would be an easy fit for the Ram, even with 3.21 gears. Also consider Winnebago's Micro Minnie series.

I did pass along the Micro Minnie as a possibility too. They do have two 8' kayaks. I don't think they'd like spending time long-term in the Luna due to not having a permanent bed. I did forget about the Sol completely, so thanks for the reminder.

My son will be in one location for 13 weeks at a minimum before moving on so I suspect they'll find a monthly rate at a private CG. Totally the opposite of what I do.
1 shih tzu
Our photos

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto carringb and TurnThePage:
The Pentastar V6 is the often-overlooked "engine that could". Very capable and tough, but does need to rev to get it done in the hills. Interesting that swapping from 3.21 to 3.55 increases the trailer rating by 3,000lbs, on the same equipped truck.

Noticed you have a Tab trailer, what kind of camping is your son likely to do? Haul kayaks, bikes, traditional trailer, stay at regular campgrounds or off the beaten path?

Take a look at IntechRV for Luna, small toy haulers, or even the fancy new Sol trailer. Any of those would be an easy fit for the Ram, even with 3.21 gears. Also consider Winnebago's Micro Minnie series.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
If he's within the ratings, I think he's golden. The only part of that platform that will get worked is the engine. It won't win any races, but should be good to go.

The 3.6L with the 8-speed is decently quick. Just gotta spin it to win it. I suspect the sustained high RPMs to make that power is the cause for the low ratings. But I don't think he'd be holding up traffic even maxing out the tow rating.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
If he's within the ratings, I think he's golden. The only part of that platform that will get worked is the engine. It won't win any races, but should be good to go.

Thanks for your opinion. It's appreciated!
1 shih tzu
Our photos

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Payload isn't too bad for a RAM but 4400 max tow would be unacceptable IMO
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad