cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 50 amp Surge Guard that is 7 years old. I am selling it to a friend because I now need a 30 amp. My question is a 7 year old surge protector okay to sell or should I just throw it away. If it is still okay, what is it worth?
12 REPLIES 12

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
The rigs with a hard wired EMS, can you replace just the surge module?

Sure. Here's a pic of my own Progressive EMS-HW30C - surge protection circuit board with MOVs is top left in this pic.

If it needs replacement Progressive will be happy to mail out a replacement, no need to send the EMS to them.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Only an EMS that costs more than your rig can deal with instantaneous power SURGES (time limited), high or low voltages. My home complete protection system is a military grade + - 40% ferroresonant voltage adjuster plus a 30 amp 240vac rated full isolation transformer.

A miracle?

Hardly.

The unit is as big as a sea chest; 160 lbs and eats 160 watts at idle. I use it when protecting a (then) $15.000 Tektronix oscilloscope.

Gordon Three hits the nail on the head.

My constructed surge protectors use TEN EACH

20 mm 190-volt MOVs
1,500-watt TVS
AND AND AND
3 amp rated Bussman "rice grain fuses. INDIVIDUAL fuses.

I know of no commercial "surge protector" that can compare it's longevity to such massive overkill. And longevity is why this thing exists.

Bussman rice-grain dedicated fuses are EXPENSIVE. But a blown fuse means a discrete component failure so the system is field repairable. The 150-amp Meanwell manual charger I am building has such a system. No chew-and-spit technology. Shi^^^ from China clogs landfills.

Serious buss-board MOVs can cost eighty dollars each. But in an RV grade environment would last a long time, unless their peak-to-peak voltage limit was exceeded longer than what they are rated for.

My military grade sola eats more power than a red headed stepchild

There are no free lunches. Choose your compromise...........................

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
maddog348 wrote:
How do you test a surge protector ?? OR is there a mandatory 'toss it' date??

There is no reliable way to test one that an average Joe would have access to.

There isn't a mandatory date, maybe a good way to look at it would be hours in service? Unless your power supply is filthy, it should last for years.

If I were into camping a lot of locations with shore power, I would replace mine every 5-6 years.

Yes they're expensive, no they don't last forever. Which is cheaper, a new surge protector or all new appliances?

The rigs with a hard wired EMS, can you replace just the surge module?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
How do you test a surge protector ?? OR is there a mandatory 'toss it' date??

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My surge protector will destroy itself.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I stand corrected on calling the Surge Guard a โ€œsurge protectorโ€. It is much more. Due to age, I will just give it to my friend.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Do your research. A surge protector is just that and nothing more. Protects against surges only. It is a one hit wonder. On hit and it destroys it's self.

EMS is mostly all inclusive. Checks wiring, high and low voltage and turns it's self on and off. a surge protector cannot do any of that.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Electronics age unless you see the power cord laying loose.

MOVs eat themselves and TVS geat weaker and weaker until a blip comes along and shorts it out. That's why I load my suppression circuitry until a hippo of a transient comes along, tries it n for size and then gags on it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like having to back out of a deal. I hate when that happens
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
There's no reason you can't use a 50 amp surge protector on a 30 amp circuit.

Does it have a diagnostic LED on it, that says the surge protection is working? Surge protectors do get "used up", the components inside take damage instead of letting it pass along to the RV, so they don't last forever.

It's electronic technology, and seven years old might as well be 20 years.

If it were me, I would just give it to a friend if they needed it and I didn't - an old unit is better than nothing, but it could be a false sense of security.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you just not keep the 50 amp model...you know it will work on a 30 amp pedestal? Right? It will!!!

I've had mine for about 12 years!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Too old for my comfort.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad