cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying an RV toilet to fit your RV

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Wanting a toilet with an elongated seat in our RV, I looked at everything that Thetford and Dometic had to offer. None would fit. So now I’m wondering about modifying something to fit.

Have you altered an RV toilet to fit in your RV? How did that work out?
12 REPLIES 12

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can get to the underside without removing the coroplast (if present) and a lot of other work, an offset flange would work. You *might* be able to do it from above if you're careful and make a clean cut in the pipe into the tank. I'd use a die grinder with saw blade on it, but if you don't have one, a dremel tool may work but would be slow. A flex shaft on a Dremel may help.

Another solution would be to create a recess in the wall the thickness of whatever the studs are - 1-1/2" or 2-1/2" if the wall has a vent pipe in it. Then trim it out to make it look nice. If the vent pipe happens to be behind the toilet, this wouldn't be possible.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Those toilet flanges can sometimes be repositioned. The other trick is to use a drill and a Dremel tool to grind some new bolt positions in the existing flange.
You may need to use some Original JB Weld to beef it up a wee bit.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe try a Offset Flange:@
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Do the toilets not fit the flange in the floor? Or are the dimensions of the toilets just too large like maybe they hit the wall or the bathtub?
Bingo! They hit the wall.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Do the toilets not fit the flange in the floor? Or are the dimensions of the toilets just too large like maybe they hit the wall or the bathtub?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The Bravura should bolt right in using the correct set of holes. The water line will need to be extended.
What type of flush mechanism is on your current one? Look closely at the Sealand toilets because some of them are odd and require modifications.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Funny all the ones I have installed all have the same bolt pattern.

AppFire
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised it don't fit. I have had 3 travel trailers in the last 10 years and replaced all of the toilets with the Bravura. Never had a problem.
2017 Silverado Crew cab LT Max tow package
2003 Jayco Qwest 244

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
What is the make and model of your current throne?
Many of the Thetfords are direct replacement.
Toilet conversion chart
It's a Thetford, Aqua-Magic IV, I think. The chart says a Bravura should fit. But it doesn't.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is the make and model of your current throne?
Many of the Thetfords are direct replacement.
Toilet conversion chart

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
In what way don't they fit?
The bases are too big. For example, the Thetford Bravura base is too wide, and if I remember correctly, the mounting holes are too far from the back wall.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
In what way don't they fit?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate