Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Roof fan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Fantastic Fans and have been happy with them.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dtgunner7 wrote:

Need to replace the OEM fan in RV, any ideas on which fan is the best to us as a replacement 14x14

What do you have now? Is it the vent with the tiny fan in it? or is it a basic model Fantastic?

If a fantastic, you can get upgrade kits to replace everything but the frame and it all just screws in.

If it is the metal frame with the tiny fan in it, the Hengs others have mentioned is the easiest as you do not install a new frame.

If you are going to install a complete new fan, frame and all, my vote is for the MaxxFan Deluxe which has its own built in hood and can be left open in the rain, ans also driven with the fan open. Only issues is that the roof needs to be clear for 7 to 8 inches behind the existing vent.

Charles

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have installed one each Fantastic and Maxxair, and Have no complaints of either over 8 years. They both move a lot of air and do it relatively quietly.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic Fan was noted for many years for fantastic customer support. But they have new owners now and I do not know how the support is.

Maxx Air has a "Downdraft" fan. it blows down onto the roof. So what is the advatage. You can leave it open in a downpour and since it blows DOWN (not up) its rain proof. Where as the best fantastic fan will shut down and close if it detects rain. the Maxx Air simply does not care.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a Winnebago or Itasca verify the fan size as they use a non-standard size. I just replaced one of mine and had to order from the Winnebago parts distributor because the normal replacement fans were about 1/4" to small.

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're going to replace it - I recommend a fan with a remote. I remember many a night in our Class C with a "standard" Fantastic Fan, and feeling too cold and getting out of bed to turn the fan down or off. Brrrrr!
Our conversion van has a Fantastic Fan with remote - when it gets too chilly now, I simply turn down the fan from the snuggly warmth of the bed :-)

seaeagle2

seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've done the Hengs in a couple trailers now, they are a super easy retrofit, just a couple screws from the inside. Being in Seattle where it rains alot, we put vent covers on all our vents.... The last Hengs I did, I got a reversible PWM controller off ebay, makes a single speed fan a variable speed reversible fan.

2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

dtgunner7

Bridgeville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for input. We kind of like the looks and operation of the Maxair 7500, has auto cover and remote for the D/W. I guess we will see if it does the job

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just replaced my old Fantastic with a new Fantastic.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

Just replaced my old Fantastic with a new Fantastic.

Looks like the same unit we replace two weeks ago. rain sensor, 7 speeds, and remote. It's now not called the fantastic fan but renamed by whoever bought them out. Thought it might cost59.00 to replaces, a figure I seem to remember from about 2006.RV Dealer wanted 495.00 or some such and would have to order .CW in Michigan had one left and apparently wanted to get rid of it.299.00 which is still way too much.
If you can't use the old trim we would have had to cut it down about a quarter inch. Can't figure out how to cut that plastic to use under another fan in the coach.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS