Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Benefits of registration in SD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Benefits of registration in SD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Gazelle05

Gig Harbor,Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Currently all vehicles are registered in Wa State. After being on the road most of the year we have noticed a lot of motorhomes registered in South Dakota. Would someone tell me the benefits if there are any to license in SD.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check Escapees.com for some of them.
But a few I am aware of,,,
No annual trek for a state inspection or smog test
Only a single day required for domicile creation
No property taxes
No state income tax
For me, cheaper insurance than Texas, Florida or Nevada

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To register for a new resident SD it does require you to be physically present, have proof, a reciept, from a lodging establishment for a recent overnight stay.
You could fly in rent a room even if you did not stay the night and qualify.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

To register for a new resident SD it does require you to be physically present, have proof, a reciept, from a lodging establishment for a recent overnight stay.
You could fly in rent a room even if you did not stay the night and qualify.

This may satisfy SD residency requirements, but not OP's actual home state. Check with a lawyer.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

bobkatmsu

clearwater, fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

States are looking into this more and more. Actual residents of one state, claiming residence in another. Therefore fraudulently depriving true state of tax dollars. California seems to be the most often state to be cheated. They are also one of the most expensive states to own a RV. Inspectors are hired to check RV storage areas for out of state license plates, especially South Dakota. Huge fines and well as back taxes await those trying to cheat the State of California.

2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

doxiemom11

Paris, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are residents of SD, but do not own a home anywhere and do all of our business in SD. Just registering a motorhome there would look pretty suspicious.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Registration is a consideration. But what about your resident state, drivers license, income from what source, state and federal taxes, vehicle and other insurance, real estate property, etc and not to mention where you vote? Something to consider?

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

henleyd

missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m in Mo (part time) and registered in sd. America’s mailbox in Box Elder. Great service. Primarily as mail forwarding, but have multiple services. Benefit for me is. Plate tags. Our class A and my ford 150. Costs about $440 annual for tags and the bronze plan membership at about $150/yr. ( I don’t need mail forwarded). Plus we paid only 3% sales tax on our bus. It’s 4% now. Big one is this saves us on personal prop (wealth) tax yearly. About $15-1800 a year. They also get my tags and mail them to me. Have a store, nice motel, and rv park if you go there. I also had my Harley Davidson plate there. I love it. You can stay there if you ever need or want to get your SD driver license. Which is recommended. I don’t and it is ok so far.
I’m retired and on the road a lot, so this is the key. I think it’s ok if you’re out of your state more than 6 months. You’d have to check.

* This post was last edited 06/27/19 09:22am by henleyd *   View edit history

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What would you be seeking by registering in SD? You have already payed a hefty sales tax so you won't save anything there and the registration costs might be the same unless you are in a county with all the high fees tacked on.

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As noted above, states are cracking down on RVers claiming residence in one state to avoid taxes in their "true" home state. My state is checking out of state tags and when they find somebody doing what I stated above, they get fined, pay all past state taxes and state tax penalties. Check with an attorney.

2014 American Eagle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Benefits of registration in SD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS