cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstine around July 4

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking ahead to 2020 plans, and we want to do a trip to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. Our challenge is that the best time, for us, is the week of (and following) July 4.

How bad will these locations be around July 4 and the week following? We don't need to camp in Yellowstone, so I'm more worried about the attractions themselves? Will they be miserable to visit around July 4, or is it still manageable despite the higher crowds?
8 REPLIES 8

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually MT Rushmore has a fantastic Independence Day Celebration.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
July 4 is the unofficial beginning of the height of tourist season in YNP. Lately, with all the (usually foreign) bus tours starting in the spring, it's been quite busy, but it always is during camping season these days, so we deal with it. We need hookups but Bridge Bay is tight, so we usually camp in West Yellowstone now. (Grizzly is great; if you have kids with you who might want to blow off steam in a playground or pool, the KOA closest to town is good, though pricey - but then, everything is pricey there.) Agreed with those who say, make reservations early, both for Yellowstone and for the Black Hills. Years ago we stayed at the Rafter J Bar in the Black Hills and loved it; depends what section of that large campground you choose though.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
I stayed at Custer / Mount Rushmore KOA over the July 4 week in 2016. I booked 2.5 months before that. I never felt like the park was too busy, it's so huge with so much to see and do I never felt crowded. A week later we were at Yellowstone and it was insanely busy...we didn't enjoy our time there very much due to the crowds.
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
https://southdakotacampgroundownersassociation.org
sdcoa is partnered with State Parks. Find , reserve through this link.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the busiest vacation time of year no matter where you go. Find your spots that you want to stay and reserve early.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
get your reservations NOW, or just after the 4th this year. For Yellowstone, I like Bridge Bay for it's location and it has water and a dump station and is very close to Lake Lodge (for buffet dining) and Fishing Bridge for store.
When you go to Old Faithful, go late morning, around 11am and stay for lunch or have lunch at Snow Lodge, then see the geyser.

For the Black Hills, get reservations EARLY in Custer State Park. It's a really beautiful state park, has elec hookups, water and a dump station and some very scenic drives. For campgrounds, we like Game Lodge campground and Legion Lake.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Both will be crowded and busy. Go early to get parking spaces.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
These type of sites are high capacity they handle large crowds very well. we were there on the 4th a couple years ago, still had room to park the couch.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.