Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Slides out / level
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slides out / level

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Aunt Colleen

Stoughton, WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we stop for a night at say Walmart and the parking lot appears to be level can we put out slides without unhooking and "leveling" ? We're new obviously, lol. Thanks Voltage 4150 and 450 dully

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't put slides out or otherwise look like your camping as that helps to get overnight stops banned.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unhooking and using slides at a Walmart is generally poor form.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, as long as you're fairly level- putting slides out is fine. You can also drop landing gear and stabilizers if you need- just be careful that you don't poke holes in the blacktop if it's hot out.

Make sure that you stay in a row of spots and don't take up extras with your slides. Also make sure the slides don't extend into the roadway and impede traffic through the parking lot.

My fifth wheel is 44' long, my truck is 22' long. Bumper to bumper, we're about 60'. I take up the same number of spaces (a lot) if my slides are in or if they're out.

The only people who really care are folks on Internet forums.

These match the "Code of Conduct" published by Escapees (which is agreed upon by quite a few RVing organizations). They aren't rules, just strong suggestions:
https://www.escapees.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/88gnpnd17.pdf

You can read more about Wallydocking in this article:
http://learntorv.com/wallydocking

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

Yes, as long as you're fairly level- putting slides out is fine. You can also drop landing gear and stabilizers if you need- just be careful that you don't poke holes in the blacktop if it's hot out.

Make sure that you stay in a row of spots and don't take up extras with your slides. Also make sure the slides don't extend into the roadway and impede traffic through the parking lot.

My fifth wheel is 44' long, my truck is 22' long. Bumper to bumper, we're about 60'. I take up the same number of spaces (a lot) if my slides are in or if they're out.

The only people who really care are folks on Internet forums.

These match the "Code of Conduct" published by Escapees (which is agreed upon by quite a few RVing organizations). They aren't rules, just strong suggestions:
https://www.escapees.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/88gnpnd17.pdf

You can read more about Wallydocking in this article:
http://learntorv.com/wallydocking

'Code of Conduct' is all well and good.
What I do NOT understand or agree with is the statement that is part of their code
"Some of the most respected RV consumer clubs have joined Escapees to support your right to park on private businesses’ property overnight under the following code of conduct:

RIGHT to PARK........horse pucky. It is a privilege extended by the business and the town ordinances.
NOT a RIGHT! [emoticon]

OP
As suggested
Park off to edge of parking lot out of the flow of traffic...provided you have gotten permission to overnight.
Hate to have someone drive into the slideout wrecking your RV and their vehicle.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Don't put slides out or otherwise look like your camping as that helps to get overnight stops banned.

Correct answer. I worked loss prevention at a Wally for 5 years. When the camper came in and setup with lawn chairs etc, the manager had me ask that they leave. Walmart's a business not a camp ground and they allow one night to keep sleepy drivers off the road. If your going to set up camp, find a camp ground.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

el.jefe

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have to put slides out in order to sleep kids in the bunkhouse. It's ok as long as you don't look like you are setting up for a long stay. Call ahead and ask permission, check in at the service desk when you get there and park where they tell you. I usually put the tongue jack down, not always the stabilizers. But I've heard that I should.

2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

el.jefe wrote:

We have to put slides out in order to sleep kids in the bunkhouse. It's ok as long as you don't look like you are setting up for a long stay.
OK to whom? The more you look like your in some form of camping the more complains the city gets - ESPECIALLY from some nearby CGs that have been successful in changing city codes.

As I'm posted many times part of any good PDI is to check for slide in access during YOUR PDI. Your rig doesn't accommodate bunk sleeping with the slides in and you should plan ahead for that situation.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We appreciate and patronize businesses with space and policy to allow us an overnight or more on a journey when camps are well out provider.
of the way or non existant in the area. We then donate an appropriate amount to the local charities
If you are of the ilk to mostly look for free camping, the day will come wnen your wish for freedom and frugality is lost

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read the op's question about slides out while overnighting at Walmart - he didn't ask if lawn chairs were OK.

I go by a Walmart every day at 5:30 am and usually see rigs in the outer lot with their slides out. As always stated, you talk with the management and ask specific questions.

Some forum posters have a beef with this obviously - it really doesn't matter what their opinion is - check with the store and follow their instructions.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slides out / level
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS