Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Slides out / level
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slides out / level

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

I read the op's question about slides out while overnighting at Walmart - he didn't ask if lawn chairs were OK.

I go by a Walmart every day at 5:30 am and usually see rigs in the outer lot with their slides out. As always stated, you talk with the management and ask specific questions.

Some forum posters have a beef with this obviously - it really doesn't matter what their opinion is - check with the store and follow their instructions.
Actually their opinions do matter because they are shared by people who drive by those Walmarts and complain about the "campers" in the parking lot. To a lot of people "camping" and "parking" are two different things.

I share the opinion if you're going to overnight at a WallyWorld, be as inconspicuous as possible. And that includes slides in.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I can't keep my fingers silent any more! This responses on this post are the reason why I quit posting completely on these forums. No one here has truly answered the OP's question. Everyone is side tracked, bashing the OP with WalMart parking etiquite.

Did anyone even bother to read her question? It started out:

"If we stop for a night at say Walmart"...

In other words, If we stop for at night at say (for example) Walmart.... what about my slides if I'm parked on an unlevel suface. Her question has nothing to do with WalMart. But no, everyone jumps on WalMart overnight parking.

Sheesh!

I sent the OP a PM and explained the possible repercussions if extending the slide outs on an unlevel plain.

OK, so bash ME again, and again and again. I'll post again in a few months!

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An actual answer to the question, but wish I could have read it, instead of PM. Myself, I am maybe a little over the top, but I always level before running slide out. Hey...I even level front to back before running the awning in/out.[emoticon]

Jerry

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Sorry, I can't keep my fingers silent any more! This responses on this post are the reason why I quit posting completely on these forums. No one here has truly answered the OP's question. Everyone is side tracked, bashing the OP with WalMart parking etiquite.

In other words, If we stop for at night at say (for example) Walmart.... what about my slides if I'm parked on an unlevel suface. Her question has nothing to do with WalMart. But no, everyone jumps on WalMart overnight parking.

Sheesh!

I sent the OP a PM and explained the possible repercussions if extending the slide outs on an unlevel plain.

Good to see you Dutch.
I've quit posting for the same reasons. I occasionally lurk but there's just too many jack-wads allowed to dominate the forum unchecked.

Scott

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah Dutch, GREAT reply!! Stick to the OPs actual questions and quit being so PC other folks!!

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Sorry, I can't keep my fingers silent any more! This responses on this post are the reason why I quit posting completely on these forums. No one here has truly answered the OP's question.

I think I actually did answer that question- second response on the thread. [emoticon]

Now, it does seem that our answers may differ from one another (with your mention of "possible repercussions"). But that's the beauty of forums- we can respect each other's opinions.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was a "jack-wad", I apologize. I wasn't trying to be one, but I guess I didn't answer the original question.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

I think I actually did answer that question- second response on the thread. [emoticon]

Your's was the closest answer, but adding the code is what led this thread down the rabbit hole and everyone followed.

Here's a shortened version of my PM to the OP and a response for forum member MFL:

Every camper, make model, brand, style, and class is capable of deploying slides on uneven surfaces without any damage or mechanical failures. BUT every camper has it's limitations where too much of a lean, forward to back, or side to side is too much. If in a lean too much the slides can jam and attempt to extend or retract crooked. When that happens, your slide is in trouble! NOW!!! the clincher is, every camper ... EVERY camper has it's own limitations and no two campers are the same. One may be able to withstand a 4 percent incline another only .5 perfent incline.

EVEN IF parked in a WalMart on an incline, no one is going to complain if you put board or lego blocks under one side of the tires to level it out. I do this often myself, even when pulling into a Burger King restaurant paring lot and we eat in the camper because the dogs cannot go inside. In all the years we've owned RV of one sort or another, no one has ever said a word about us parking and rolling one side of the trailer tires on some lumber.

For the OP, it's always best to attempt to level as much as possible first. But only YOU know your own camper and it's limitations.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

ependydad wrote:

Your's was the closest answer, but adding the code is what led this thread down the rabbit hole and everyone followed.

Heh, I took the first response to be falling down that rabbit hole. But I do see how mine pushed it along handily.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Sheesh!

Sorry, but what you took from the OP and what I took from it are two different things.

You saw the question "Can I put my slides out if the trailer isn't level?". Wondering about if it's okay to put out the slides without leveling.

I saw the question "Can I put my slides out in a Walmart parking lot if it's level?" Wondering if it's okay to put out slides in a public parking lot like WallyWorld.

It's a bit of an ambiguous question that can be interpreted different ways, obviously.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slides out / level
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.